Blinking Err message on LCD and viewfinder with Nikon N80

nickscribner

I just purchased a used Nikon N80 on eBay and have run into a problem. When I loaded my first roll of film everything seemed to be working normally. But after I tried taking my first picture the viewfinder went black and "Err" started flashing on my LCD and in my viewfinder. After searching online for this problem I read you should take out the batteries, wait 30 minutes, and do a two-button reset. I did all of those things, but nothing happened when I tried doing the two-button reset. It just kept blinking "Err." Does anyone know what I should do? Is the camera supposed to be on or off when doing the two-button reset, or does it not matter? I tried doing it with the camera both on and off. Thanks to anyone who can help.

480sparky

What lens are you using?
A don't think a G lens is compatible with the camera.
And a D lens will need to have the aperture ring turned down to minimum.

nickscribner

I'm getting a blinking "Err" message on the LCD and a blinking "Err" message in the viewfinder. Releasing the shutter seems to stop displaying the message briefly (and even advances the exposure number on the LCD and viewfinder); but then the viewfinder goes black and when I press another button the same "Err" message displays.