D600 nose dive

singlerosa_RIP

Ouch! I had my first camera disaster ever last night. I was at my wife's bar and had a bunch of my high school buddies (St. Mary's, Class of '68) in for our Christmas Party. Naturally, I have to take photos. After a few were taken, I put my rig in our small office, on 2 cases of beer. I left it alone for a while and came back to find it on the floor, still partially in backpack/sling. Pretty sure our bartender inadvertently knocked it over when getting stock from another stack. Of course she denied it.

Turns out the D600 could not sustain 3' fall w/24-70 (w/hood) & SB-800, sitting partially in camera bag. Electronics work fine. I don't know what the point of impact was, but it cracked up real good! :nightmare:​

Shipped off to Nikon repair center in California this afternoon. Cool online service scheduler, including estimate ($304). Glad I have the D7000 (and a 17-55 2.8) as a backup 'cause there's more parties coming.

_JFS1725.jpg
_JFS1727.jpg

Deezey

Wowza. That sucks. Glad to hear it sounds like it's all cosmetic. Makes me wonder if there could be a market for a camera case similar to phone cases.....a phone glove so to speak.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
It's a bad luck for sure, but seems it did better than Glenn's D800e that got (still waiting for a second opinion) totalled after a fall like yours. In a way, it might be better when plastic breaks than when magnesium frame does. I'm pretty sure Glenn would be happy if his D800E could be fixed for that amount.

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I'm not proud to say it but welcome to my club. I wouldn't be surprised if they return it back to you unrepaired.

Sent from my iPhone.

Deezey

The plastic breaking seems to maybe slow down impacts and absorb more shock than say the other materials used. Sort of like crumple zones in cars.

singlerosa_RIP

I'm not proud to say it but welcome to my club. I wouldn't be surprised if they return it back to you unrepaired.

I would be very surprised if it comes back in the same condition. I've heard from a fellow Nikon guy whose 7100 bit the dust in similar fashion and Nikon service USA fixed him up fine for the same $304 quoted to me.

If I can take consolation in any of this, it's that I didn't even see it happen. I will be reviewing the video tomorrow, but my wife won't let me make the bartender pay for it, even if I prove she did it because wifey tells me I shouldn't have left my stuff in her bartender's way. Damn, that's cold (but probably right). Doesn't she look guilty?

_JFS9746.jpg

There is nothing worse than a broken camera other than seeing it break. Now that is a sight I hope I never see again.

Class of 68? High School? That was the same year I graduated from High School

mikew_RIP

Not meant as any form of consolation as it isnt but this guy has loads of dropped cameras and lenses including a D700 with liquid damage,i often think how many end up with a crap repair then back on ebay.

kentcameras | eBay