Noob here

dirtycontour

Hello all!
My name is Earl and I live in NJ. I have been taking pics with a Nikon L120 and my wife and I are looking to enter the world of DSLR. I'm a total noob and I would like to learn as much as I can from this forum.

Bill16

Welcome to nikonites! I think you'll love it here! I found it a great place to learn and there are awesome members and staff that are soooo helpful! :D

My wife has a L120 and it is a great little camera. I just gave her my D5100 recently when I got my D7000. Do you have an idea of what camera you want or at least have a budget you would like to stay in?

dirtycontour

Thanks all. I plan on reading up as much as I can.

Don, we are looking at the the D3200 or the D5100. To be honest we are pretty lost right now.
Budget is around $1000

Deezey

First welcome to the forum!

Second....what are you wanting to photograph?

Also buying a refurb is a good way to go if you are on a budget.
Buy from a legit seller and you won't have any problems. For what it is worth some of the older models such as the D90 are still very good options for first time buyers.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks all. I plan on reading up as much as I can.

Don, we are looking at the the D3200 or the D5100. To be honest we are pretty lost right now.
Budget is around $1000

You might also want to look at refurbished cameras. I would suggest the D5100 or the D5200 and the 18-105 zoom to go with it instead of the 18-55. The 18-55 is very limited for many people and they end up replacing it pretty fast. The 18-105 is a very nice walk around lens. Many people here shoot it including me and it stays on the camera probably 75% of the time.

dirtycontour

what are you wanting to photograph?
Mostly my home aquarium and your general nature pics.
You might also want to look at refurbished cameras. I would suggest the D5100 or the D5200 and the 18-105 zoom to go with it instead of the 18-55. The 18-55 is very limited for many people and they end up replacing it pretty fast. The 18-105 is a very nice walk around lens. Many people here shoot it including me and it stays on the camera probably 75% of the time.
I will certainly check for refurbished. I know I would like a macro lens as well. Not sure if macro is the same as zoom?

Bill16

No a macro isn't the same as a zoom lens. A macro lens is designed to be able to focus very close up to you subject, where the zoom lens is designed to bring things in from a distance.

Mostly my home aquarium and your general nature pics. I will certainly check for refurbished. I know I would like a macro lens as well. Not sure if macro is the same as zoom?

Thank you. In that case, I would be interested in macro.

For a macro for the home aquarium even the 40mm Macro would be good since you want to be close or even touching the glass when you shoot so you won't get the reflection of the camera in the shot. If you are shooting bugs in the wild the 105mm is a better choice.

dramtastic

Welcome. Agree with all the suggested camera bodies/lens options so far. With a little bit of effort I think you could land a D5100/5200, a macro and the 18-105 within your stated budget.