Coloured Bokeh effect

wornish

Not sure where to post this question.
I have seen a number of shots recently that have coloured bokeh highlights in them which intrigues me.

There is a good example in the thread announcing this December Monthly assignment - Holiday Theme in post #1 by the moderator gqtuazon.

and another here:

500px / christmas mug by Sho Shibata

My question is how is this effect achieved. Is it done in PP or is it done with coloured lights or some other way?

PapaST

The key is to line up the shot. Tight on the mug and have the Christmas lights down the hall. The lights should be positioned so that they look like they're "pouring" into the mug. There's a few youtube videos on how people achieve this. Of course the large aperture is necessary too.

wornish

The key is to line up the shot. Tight on the mug and have the Christmas lights down the hall. The lights should be positioned so that they look like they're "pouring" into the mug. There's a few youtube videos on how people achieve this.

​I will give this a go thanks.

Bob Blaylock

Not sure where to post this question.
I have seen a number of shots recently that have coloured bokeh highlights in them which intrigues me.

There is a good example in the thread announcing this December Monthly assignment - Holiday Theme in post #1 by the moderator gqtuazon.

and another here:

500px / christmas mug by Sho Shibata

My question is how is this effect achieved. Is it done in PP or is it done with coloured lights or some other way?

I would say Christmas lights in the background. And a high f-stop like 1.4 ;)

Oh dear, more money needed then I only have the f1.8

1.8 should work fine. The key is to get the lights further away from the subject. The further away the lights go the more bokeh you achieve.

The “Details” listed under the photograph linked in the OP indicate that it was taken at an aperture of ƒ3.2, at a focal length of 90mm. Even at 90mm, if ƒ3.2 is wide enough, then ƒ1.8 will surely be wide enough even with a shorter lens.

BackdoorArts

That's the key. This doesn't even have to be at 1.4 or 1.8. A nice 300mm f2.8 would work great with lots of distance between and larger lights. It's going to be tough to do this with a 28mm or 50mm. And don't forget, you can soften the boken in post as well, so it's entirely possible that these circles weren't quite so perfect out of the camera.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
1.8 should work fine. The key is to get the lights further away from the subject. The further away the lights go the more bokeh you achieve.

Play with the distance and aperture. Depending on the lens that you intend to use, will result in different shapes. Most lenses will provide a football shape. Older 7 bladed diaphragm lenses produces heptagon shape.

Sent from my iPhone.

wornish

Thanks to everyone for all the input and advice. I wired together a few coloured LEDs and gave it a go this afternoon.
Guess what - it works!

Here is my first simple attempt. I now need to build a scene watch this space.

Bokeh1.jpg

wornish

Got a bit carried away with "artistic" effects on this one.
Was trying a few things out for FlickrFriday theme this week - TimeTravel

bokehclock.jpg