Wow - lucky me!

Jonathan

Hello. I have had nearly 13,000 views of my Flickr stream since I first uploaded something there in May. I have now just been asked by a business friend whether we can agree terms whereby they can use some of my snaps in their sales/pitch material. I'm not (yet) asking for advice, I just wanted to let someone know! Photography is so far removed from what pays my bills!

DraganDL

No wonder: you've got some really great photos in your Flickr collection. One of them, in my opinion is even UNBELIEVABLE - DSC 1506!
On the other hand, you've got some very disappointing there as well (that dog's image reflected in the water is a good example of how the DOF should NOT be managed)...

Last edited:

Jonathan

No wonder: you've got some really great photos in your Flickr collection. One of them, in my opinion is even UNBELIEVABLE - DSC 1506!
On the other hand, you've got some very disappointing there as well (that dog's image reflected in the water is a good example of how the DOF should NOT be managed)...

Thank you very much. I have relied to you Flickr comments. I'm going to have a fiddle with the dog one as you suggest. With a young family and a demanding job I don't have much time for post. And, to be fair to me, that was one of the first shots I took with the D7100 and I hadn't (and still haven't) read the manual!

DraganDL

:eek:OK, I guess I was amazed with those outstanding landscapes and birds and all, so I just could not stand any degradation of my first impressions! You are very, very gifted, capable photographer, and there is no doubt we will see a lot of extraordinary good photos taken by you, in the near future...

Jonathan

:eek:OK, I guess I was amazed with those outstanding landscapes and birds and all, so I just could not stand any degradation of my first impressions! You are very, very gifted, capable photographer, and there is no doubt we will see a lot of extraordinary good photos taken by you, in the near future...

<Shuffles in an embarrassed English manner>

Why thank you very much. I still need to re-dog you, though.

Just-Clayton

I myself am waiting for news on a cover photo for a local tourist magazine. It will mean a bigger foot in the door for bigger jobs. Congrats!!

Jonathan

Okay - PP is not yet my forte (all I normally do is auto-improve pictures in Aperture). However, following your two suggestions I have blurred the bottom and lightened the shadows. Thoughts? I must say, I think it an improvement (even if I have been a tad heavy-handed with my blurring). Those two edits would never have occurred to me. Well done Nikonites and thank you DraganDL in particular.

Before:

DSC_0477_1.jpg

After:

DSC_0477.jpg

DraganDL

As for the original, color Photo, I would use different kind of blurring (in Photoshop it is called "iris blur" tool), to avoid the border between blurred portion and the rest of the photo being the problem (anyway, transition between these portions should be softened, made more gradual).

Last edited:

Jonathan

As for the original, color Photo, I would use different kind of blurring (in Photoshop it is called "iris blur" tool), to avoid the border between blurred portion and the rest of the photo being the problem (anyway, transition between these portions should be softened, made more gradual).
Been busy (Christmas parties). I'll try this over the weekend.

In the meantime Flickr is at 16,500 views and I've had the commissioning meeting (a nice lunch today) and received my verbal brief. Detailed instruction will arrive shortly so I can work on the commission over Christmas. It's for a friend so will be a nice, gentle introduction to having to take great shots to order!