Remote Timer

MPSanSouci

Afternoon to All!

I am not sure if this is the correct area for this question, so please forgive me if it is not ..

With x-mas coming up, the mrs. wants to get me something for my 'photo sessions' without spending a lot of $$$

I have been eye'ing this remote timer from B&H .. Vello Shutterboss Version II Timer Remote Switch for Nikon with DC2 Connection .. and wonder if anyone has one or has had experience with one.

Vello Shutterboss Version II Timer Remote Switch RC-N2II B&H

Are they worth the $42+? Nikon does not make one like this for the D5200; which is what I presently own and love!

Comments .. Suggestions?

Michael

Horoscope Fish

The Vello Shutterboss is worth its weight in gold. Hands down... Full stop. Make sure you get the one with the correct connection for your camera, though because there are a couple different connector options as I recall. It does use a semi-odd battery, but nothing that places like Wal*Mart or Target don't have. It's the CR123 battery, if memory serves; looks like a short, stubby AA battery. That tiny nit-pick aside, the Shutterboss simply rocks. Worth every penny in my experience and does *everything* you could reasonably expect a remote timer to do. The documentation (aka "the manual") is surprisingly good.

Edit: I just realized I have the *wireless* Shutterboss and it's the wireless receiver that uses the odd-ball battery. The wired shutterboss uses standard AAA batteries, so if you're after the wired version of the Shutterboss, you can ignore the CR123 battery comment.

Last edited:

Jonathan

I got this to work with my D3100: Hahnel Giga T Pro II Wireless Remote Control for Nikon: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo. It's more expensive but I don't know how the functionality compares. HF makes a very good point about the documentation as that provided with this is rubbish, and the remote control times-out between composing shots (which is annoying). I guess I'm actually not recommending it! I am hoping that my new D7100 will allow me to do the basic things I want to do in a nice, simple manner.

MPSanSouci

Fish,

Once again .. Thank You! for your input!

I as well have both the Nikon wired and wireless shutter releases. Both them both when I initially purchased the D5200 .. haven't tried the wireless yet, but have used the wired.

I like the ability of the "Shutterboss" to set your duration and, I believe, time before the shutter opens as well?!?!? I'll have to play with it.

Either way, I was liking the possibilities and appreciate your feedback .. enhances my thought process ( ha ha ).

Michael

Horoscope Fish

Thank You! for your input!
You're welcome.

I like the ability of the "Shutterboss" to set your duration and, I believe, time before the shutter opens as well?!?!? I'll have to play with it.
Oh yes, the Shutterboss is a combination timer and shutter-release controller. It does delayed shutter release, interval shooting, multiple-exposure control, long-exposure control... You name it.

WayneF

The Vello appears to be a copy of the $160 Nikon MC-36 (but Nikon does not have the DC2 connector on theirs).

This copy is sold under a few labels - I bought a similar copy by Yongnuo for a similar $45 price, but feel foolish now - the same thing is available for much less:

Amazon.com: NEEWER® Digital Timer Remote EZa-N3 for Nikon D5000 Digital Camera: Camera & Photo

It has the same menu options as the Nikon - Timer delay, exposure time, interval, number of shots. You can set multiple choices, and they all work in combination.

Neewer and Yongnuo appear to have some of the same items, relabeled, probably from some other Chinese maker.

Also available at the www.neewer.com web site.

Search Ebay for Nikon MC-36 and you will find many Chinese copies for around $15.
Make sure it has the DC2 connector instead of the ten pin connector.
Amazon shipping may be from China too, it says it arrives AFTER Dec 25 ?

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

Another vote for the Shutterboss. I use an RF remote as a pure shutter release, but I'll use the Shutterboss over the internal intervalometer every time. More than worth the money and works like a champ.

Steve B

Get the wireless version of the Shutterboss. It can actually be used wired or wireless. As far as the connections, you can buy a cable for whatever camera you need it for. I have the wireless version with four different cables for my Nikon and Olympus bodies. Works with all of them.