Portrait Lens Choice Depending on your Subject

Mike D90

I was reading something tonight on portrait lenses (after the flurry of portrait lens posts lately) and I saw a brief mention of choosing a portrait lens according to the characteristics of your subject, i.e., age, physical size, other features etc.

Why would this matter?

Moab Man

I can not speak from experience because I avoid shooting people portraits as much as I can, but I did see an interesting comparison of lenses and shooting portraits. What I saw was with shorter focal lengths the lenses tended to plump up the faces and make them more round. As the focus lengths got longer the faces thinned. Neither example was like a circus mirror, but the faces were different. For this reason I could see the benefit of shooting someone with a narrow longer face with a shorter focal length and someone with a plumper face with a longer focal length.

Again, I am NOT speaking from knowledge or experience. This was a photography tutorial I watched that showed examples at different focal lengths.

​Others with real knowledge feel free to comment on what I posted.

Last edited:

Mfrankfort

If they're really young, you should get a lens that makes a lot of noise so they look at the camera. I don't see how that would make a difference.. I know some lenses (lengths) produce some types of distortion or whatever you call it, but aside from that, don't see how it can matter significantly .