fireworks

hrphotography

I need advice regarding shooting fireworks. I have 50mm 1.8 & 20mm 2.8. which one is better for fireworks?
what aperture is better?
​and would you recommend ....auto focus or fixed focus for infinity?

thanks in advance :)

shungokusatsu29

Well, I'm no expert, but I would go with the 20mm 2.8, maybe an aperture of b/t 5-8, infinity focus or slightly before and with a high ISO (the 600 is great at low light if it's exactly like the D610) and and I'm not sure as to shutter speed; you could adjust the shutter in accordance with the ISO you have set, but somewhere to keep the fireworks from blurring. Also, tripod is a must for stability! Again, I'm not expert, but just from the research I've done, I would start there. Good luck!

Last edited:

singlerosa_RIP

I agree with the 28 if the fireworks are close to you (100-200 yards). I'd say take both lenses and take some shots while it's light out to check the field of view and get your focus set. If you get there early, you can be set up and ready to roll. Everything in manual except WB (adjust later in post). ISO 100 and f/16 or higher and Bulb mode. Tripod, cable release, mirror up. Here's one from a buddy of mine's 4th of July party. D600 2/24-70 @24mm, ISO 100, f/16, 4.3 sec.

JFS_2375.jpg

Here's one shot with 70-200 2.8 @ 200mm

JFS_2750.jpg

thegaffney

Those are nice, I did this one with the 18-200mm, had to crank up the ISO since it wasn't a fast lense, but it still did OK, it was my first try, was in a horrible spot thogh, wasn't about the fight the crowd in Disneyland

1048827_10152933370720433_639032345_o.jpg

Last edited:

hrphotography

Thank you everyone, especially singlerosa for sharing those amazing photos.
So its 20mm at smaller aperture like 16 and low ISO. what about the focus? i think auto focus will keep focusing at night and may not focus correctly (esp the 20mm 2.8).....should i put on manual and set for infinity? I read shungokusatsu29 comment to leave it at infinity or little before....i agree with him but just want to make sure.
​I will use tripod and cable release. btw i have 28-300mm VRII also but i think prime would be better .... what do u think?

Last edited:

shungokusatsu29

I say infinity because the fireworks are going to be far away; infinity will give you the maximum focal range allowed for the lens. Too close, and your shot will be blurred! But hopefully some more will speak up on that :D

NVSteve

Definitely infinity, which is not always sharp at the infinity mark on all lenses. Best bet is to play around with the lens during the day and find out where it needs to be before darkness sets in. The other settings kind of depend on what you want to do. I shot this one (50mm 1.8) at ISO200, f8, 25", primarily because I needed to capture the skiers carrying torches:
8332811222_f5894c8086_o.jpg

singlerosa_RIP

manual focus and if you can get there early and set focus in advance on the area you will be capturing. if you're just shooting the fireworks (no foreground), focus on the first burst and go from there. you can always focus on infinity if you don't want to do the other two methods.

Good luck and have fun!
JFS_2570.jpg

JFS_2913.jpg

rocketman122

ive shot fireworks with an 85mm lens so it all depneds where you will be in relation to the FW. how high they will shoot up and how much you want to include. I dont like shooting with a WA lens. I love the compression of teles and everyone shoots FW wide. its much more impressive and very hard to shoot with a tele. but its a very WOW effect when I showed the pictures to people. sometimes getting "everything" in is too boring. I shot at 10 seconds at times. it was really stunning. WA pictures are way to common and meh imo. I did it once in a lake and had the compression of the tiny boats with the huge sky and FW. the lake had the colors of the FW reflected on the surface. very nice images.

obviously locking up the focus to manual, pre focus and set it. mirror lock up. since you have a very limited time you have to fire shot after shot with little fiddling. you have to shoot then quickly readjust (anticipating where they will fire them and at what height) and shoot.

rocketman122

thank you

I suggest you use the 28-300 so you can quickly recompose. ball head is best for fast recomposing also. stop down to f/8-16. lower the iso. not sure but you may need to activate long exposure noise reduction. do a few test shots when there, but dont forget the brightness of the FW will give a totally different exposure so you have to be quick to discern and change the exposure. not sure how long FW shows are usually. good luck. you can do it!

fiVe

Definitely infinity, which is not always sharp at the infinity mark on all lenses. Best bet is to play around with the lens during the day and find out where it needs to be before darkness sets in. The other settings kind of depend on what you want to do. I shot this one (50mm 1.8) at ISO200, f8, 25", primarily because I needed to capture the skiers carrying torches:
8332811222_f5894c8086_o.jpg

VERY Cool pic! Thanks for posting!