Live View exposure simulation

Dimson

One of the main issues i encountered as a fresh convert from Canon. In live view my D800 closes the aperture to the set value, so in dim conditions the live view is extremely dark and makes it hard to compose / focus. i've been looking everywhere, is there a way to make the camera to close down the aperture only during the exposure?

i have the latest firmware

thanks in advance

WayneF

I don't know any better answer, and this depends on if you are indoors or outdoors,
but if in camera Manual mode, and indoors, then the OK button is a toggle (on, off) for Live View to show it brighter or not. Not full bright, but brighter.

Exposure Preview page 46 says OK button shows the preview, but my notion is that it turns it off.

Dimson

yeah, that's about the only piece of info i was able to find. i tried it, it's still digital simulation of the possible outcome :(
regardless, i usually shoot in A and meter for different areas

gqtuazon

Gear Head
If you are shooting indoors while on live view, you set the camera to manual, adjust the ISO or shutter speed in order to get a brighter image, check your focus, then re-adjust to desired exposure.

Dimson

yes, that's what i've been forced to do. i was hoping for a more elegant solution where the aperture just stays open the entire time. hopefully a firmware update can fix that, if nikon ever cares to listen to it's customers :/