Stupid question Focus Ring on NIKOR lense

newbienikor

Hi there, I was just playing with my lense focus ring by setting it to manual, just a dumb question after i switch it back to auto on the lens my lens would work normally for auto focus or do i still have to leave my focus ring manually at a certain position before switching back to auto kind confused please advise thanks

DraganDL

Whatever lens it is, surely, by reverting it to "af" position should do the trick. However, there are certain more specialized lenses out there, like some "macro" for example, which require you to put the focus ring into certain position (specific distance or/and specific focal length) in order to (de)activate this "macro capability". But, I guess it is not your case... If your lens belongs with the "G" series, you don't even have to switch the lens to "m" position to be able to focus it manually - it focuses in af mode, and whenever you grab the focus ring, the lens (temporarily) goes to a manual mode (so-called manual focus override)...

Last edited:

DraganDL

OK - like I said, there is no problem for you. After switching from "M" back to "A" (or "A/M"), your camera is in autofocus mode again... No need to do anything else to have your lens working in af mode again. To be sure, point your camera to different objects, close to you and far away from you, while pushing the shutter button halfway - the micro motor (which drives the af system) should get engaged.

Last edited:

DraganDL

To the best of my knowledge, there IS a focus ring (though it is very narrow) placed at the front end of the lens. What there is NOT on such lenses is the APERTURE ring (aperture values cannot be chosen "by hand")...

Just look at the picture: from right to left, first one is the narrow focus ring, then comes the broad, rubberized zoom ring.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18-55mm-vr.htm

Last edited: