What the...

btraven

What's the time limit for creating a new thread. I just worked on a new thread for the Nikon Coolpix forum and when I got done, I had been timed out and had to log in again. When I did so, the post was gone, nothing but a blank page. And it was a really good post too, with pics I'd taken of the tattoo on Jennifer Lawrence's hindquarters*.

Okay, maybe that's a slight exaggeration, but still. I was trying to get it right and ~boom~ it's gone, like some kind of magic trick. Or maybe I O.D.ed on the Kafkazine Diethylamide again. Oh, well.

*It's a tattoo of a bird pulling a worm out, if you must know.

btraven

Maybe you should start it in Microsoft word or notepad and then copy and paste it here.

» William via Tapatalk

Yeah, fine, but what about pics? I had three pics in the post. Surely you are not suggesting that I compose the post in a word processor, copy and paste it, then insert pics. Or something. And that still doesn't answer the question. Is there a time limit on composing a post and if so, what is it?

And to the other guy: No, it was not inappropriate. I do not have pics of a tattoo of a bird pulling a worm out of a movie star's hindquarters. I do have the title to a nice bridge in Brooklyn if you're interested though. Cheap. Cash only.

wud

I click "keep me logged in" and haven't ever tried to loose a posting. You could select it all and copy, just before posting, then you'll only have to add the images again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

btraven

There is also an auto save when you are typing. Guess you didn't have that setup on your browser?

I use Chrome and it is set up properly. I do not encounter this problem on any other forums and I was getting the "saved" indicator flashing in the lower right corner as I was typing.

Why would you reflexively "guess" it was something I was doing wrong without asking me any questions?

The problem was not whether or not the post was being saved, it was that I was getting timed out and when I went to post my comments, I was taken to a screen to log back in. But after I did so, instead of returning me to the "Post New Thread" screen where I had been, I was given a blank screen. When I finally navigated back to "Post New...", my comments were gone.

I suspect that now that I have ticked the "remember me" box--thanks to "wud"--the problem is solved.

I also noticed something else during my two attempts to post a new thread. The first time, when I included pictures, they would show up in the box where I was typing my remarks. The actual images would be in the box and I could click on them and place them and size them properly.

The second time, instead of getting the actual images, I was getting something like [Attach--blah, blah blah Attach] inside square brackets. It looked like HTML or BB stuff, but what I noticed is that it was not the actual images as it had been the first time. Something changed between the first time I went to post that new thread and my second attempt. And I had gone through the exact same procedure as the first time, the steps outlined in the "How to post pictures" thread at the top. The "Click on the little picture frame icon etc." steps.

​Hmmm...

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
It sounds like you're getting logged out. Click "Remember Me" at the top of the page.

Regarding the attach BB code. Something went wrong with the connection between your computer and the site when the pics were uploading to the site. You might want to try reducing the size of the pics before uploading.

Or, if they're already uploaded somewhere else, you can just insert them into the post without uploading them here. Click "Insert Image" > Click the "From URL" tab > Paste in the image URL, and uncheck "Retrieve remote file and reference locally".

Also at one point you said that you were posting them directly out of the camera without resizing them. That is not the preferred way.

Guidelines to adding a photo to your post.

1. Resize photo to 1000px on the long side.
2. Resolution set to 72ppi (Pixels Per Inch)

These guidelines will be good for viewing on a computer but will not be good for printing. This will help safeguard your copyright.

btraven

No, I didn't say that I was posting them directly out of the camera, I said they were straight out of the camera which is usually abbreviated SOOC on many photography sites and means that they have not been retouched. Duh.

fotojack

You know...we can do without the sarcastic "duh" remark. If you have a problem, we'll try and fix it. Some things are beyond our control, however, so bear with us. Some of the suggestions given by other members are given in good faith and are meant to help, so getting sarcastic won't help your problem.