D7100 camera settings?

donaldjledet

Going to track today to shoot with the new Tamron 18-270 3.5 Lens
Weather is ugly
Misty rain and overcast. What ISO setting and should I use aperture or shutter mode or one of the others? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

skene

Great time to try out different settings.
Try different ISO values.
Aperture is going to be based on what you are trying to capture and how much DOF you want in the image.

I like the idea of going with manual for days like this.

Mfrankfort

Try to keep ISO as low as possible that will allow that keeps your shutter speed over about 1/60 for hand-held. Usually anything (camera depending) of under 600ish works pretty well with minimal noise. Just play around with the settings, see what works.

nickt

You are probably already done with this event, but something like this might be a good time to try auto-iso. Auto iso and aperture priority.
You would set a minimum shutter speed and a maximum iso in the auto iso menu. The camera will raise the iso as needed to make that minimum shutter speed possible. Unless it just gets too dark, you should be protected from shake by the minimum shutter speed. The camera will just keep bumping up the iso to keep you from falling below that minimum shutter speed. Of course you will get some grainy shots, but they would otherwise be ruined with camera shake.
Your d7100 has a new feature, auto shutter speed. It is in the auto iso menu. Instead of you specifying a minimum shutter speed, the camera will pick that minimum shutter based on the focal length. I haven't heard much about this, but it sounds pretty useful.

Millie

Banned
probably best to set the auto iso to 100-800 and shutter speed to min 1/60 ...dont do manual ...but when you get back and have some good shots look at the EXIF data to see what the settings were and learn from that for next time

donaldjledet

Thanks guys for the help will be going back today .
Yesterday was old folk day. I was in such a hurry after I downloaded the memory cards from the night before, that in the morning I just grab my camera and did not check if I had everything. Yep you guess it forgot I did not
​put memory cards back in camera. Live and Learn.