D600: A suitable inexpensive sensor cleaning solution & swab combination.

jrleo33

I bought a SENSOR KLEAR LOUPE and LENS PEN kit from B&H Photo, which provides a very good look at the Sensor on my D600. I bought the D600 as a REBURB, and after (10) months and about 3000 clicks, have had no dust or lubricate spot issues whatsoever.

My question; has any member found a suitable sensor cleaning agent and swabs combination that is as good and less expensive as Photographic Solution’s Eclipse and Swabs?

John

Ruidoso Bill

I only use sensor swabs and eclipse. One trick I have learned is on the final swipes use a little less eclipse, still dampen the corners and let it wick but just use less and that stops the streak/haze too much solution results in. One other thing I have read is the eclipse solution really absorbs moisture which can cause some real streaks, that writer advised that he only used the solution once after being opened and tosses it. After about 10K shutter actuations the frequency of cleaning greatly dimenishes so he felt it was cost effective to just clean and toss, I'm not quite that anal (yet).

nikonpup

Note! Pec-Pad's are not recommended for cleaning the CCD. It is not the same material used in the Sensor Swabs. PSI does not approve or warranty the CCD or any camera part from any damage caused by using non approved products. FYI

nickt

Note! Pec-Pad's are not recommended for cleaning the CCD. It is not the same material used in the Sensor Swabs. PSI does not approve or warranty the CCD or any camera part from any damage caused by using non approved products. FYI
...and that warning comes from the company who enjoys gouging us on the price of swabs. I'm willing to take the risk and so are many others. I can not find a single story on the web of a sensor being damaged with a pec pad solely due to it being pec pad. Not even those 'friend of a friend' stories. CopperHill supplies pec pads in their cleaning kits.

Mark F

I use eclipse and sensor swabs.... But I found that a small battery operated computer electronics vacuum works really well between wet cleaning. It removes dust on the shutter felt too
Works for dust only... and does a really good job on the mirror too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rocketman122

I use Eclipse fluid, but I use a pec pad to make a homemade swab. DIY Projects - Cleaning Digital Cameras - D-SLR Sensor Cleaning.
I use a half of a 4x4 pec pad, its too bulky with a whole pad wrapped around the stick.

i have the sensor swab and ped pads and eclipse liquid. there is a bit of a difference between the texture in the pec pad compared to the sensor swab, but IMO I think the pec pads are just fine. many have been using it before the sensor swabs came out and it was fine then. dont see why they arent now.

overpriced sensor swabs for no reason. I save the swab and rubber band and just wrap half a pec pad as well and use that. tired of companies screwing people over with outrageously priced products. its a freakin tissue for christ sakes!!

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

Will Sensor Swabs warranty a camera's sensor if it causes scratches?

overpriced sensor swabs for no reason. I save the swab and rubber band and just wrap half a pec pad as well and use that. tired of companies screwing people over with outrageously priced products. its a freakin tissue for christ sakes!!

That is what I did with mine--saved some of the wands from the Sensor Swabs and covered them with 1/2 Pec Pads and the rubber bands. Neither one could remove whatever spots kept appearing in successive test shots which is the only reason why I sent in my D600 for repair.

rocketman122

Will Sensor Swabs warranty a camera's sensor if it causes scratches?

That is what I did with mine--saved some of the wands from the Sensor Swabs and covered them with 1/2 Pec Pads and the rubber bands. Neither one could remove whatever spots kept appearing in successive test shots which is the only reason why I sent in my D600 for repair.

Im certain that if the pec pads can be used to clean lenses then I think its suitable to clean the ccd. I dont think they would make it a lower quality than the sensor swab tissue so dont see a reason not to use it. like I said, people were using the pec pads before the sensor swabs were out without issues. they just saw a market and said "hmm, how do we rip people off by giving it a nice packaging"

and eclipse dont warranty the sensor swabs from scratching but its not the sensor we are cleaning but some protective film. have you seen what nikon in japan use? they use a chopstick and some pec pad like tissue with alcohol.

Last edited:

rocketman122

I don't recall the PecPad sensor warning back in the early days. I was just reading on their site PEC*PAD 4×4, 100-sheet pack | Photographic Solutions that PecPads are safe for many things, lens coatings, slides and film negatives to name a few. Safe on slides and film?? That's impressive.

YEP. thats good enough for my sensor then. 99% lint free like the sensor swabs. bought a 100 pak and a bottle of eclipse and im set :encouragement: