D700 where to go next?

pullmyfinger

Like many of you....I have my eye on the horizon and am looking to an eventual new camera.

I will be keeping my D700 for quite some time, because I have an underwater housing for it, eventually I plan to get another FX body, but I'm sort of confused about what's next.

I realize that nobody really knows, but I'm curious about other peoples thoughts.
It seems that the D800 is sort of "too much", in terms of file size anyway.
And the D600 is "not enough"

I have read that description elsewhere, and it made sense. Where does the D610 fit in?

Does anyone think there will be another FX model coming out soon? something like a D700 replacement? Something that doesn't have 36 Megapixels? maybe with a little faster shutter speed?

More of an all around camera.

I have to say it....but something like the Canon 5D Mark III?

Naturally the D800 has been compared to the 5D Mark III plenty of times, but they are different cameras.

I wish Nikon would come out with a D700 replacement that would be sort of like the 5D Mark III in the Nikon lineup.

Any thoughts or opinions?

As awesome as the D800 is....I really don't want to immediately have to invest in a new computer, hard drive storage space, etc. at the same time that I would also be making a camera body purchase.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Cheers,
Mitch

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Seems the D-4 would be your camera since it answers all your needs. Ah, there is a price factor...

The D-700 is a fantastic camera. What's missing for you with this model? How large do you USUALLY print? Are you unhappy with the D-700 image quality or built?

I will not replace my D700. The only thing I find is missing with it is the Quiet mode found on the 7000 and 600 and now 610. This is a real feature that I use most of the time.

If you are not afraid of cleaning your sensor, the D600 could become your next camera. It's price is coming down and I think it is a bargain. It's the perfect file size and has great IQ. The dust, well, my camera had some after about 1000 shots, but that was in Vietnam in an extremely dusty environment. I learned to clean it and since then it seems to behave. Of course, I very rarely shoot at f-22, but I can say I'm very happy with it. You have to take things in perspective. All D-600 were not returned for service and it seems a lot of people are very happy with their copy.

You can always wait since there will always be newer shinier models that will create new needs/wants for NAS affected persons.

​Good luck.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I realize that nobody really knows, but I'm curious about other peoples thoughts.
It seems that the D800 is sort of "too much", in terms of file size anyway.
And the D600 is "not enough"

I have read that description elsewhere, and it made sense. Where does the D610 fit in?

Does anyone think there will be another FX model coming out soon? something like a D700 replacement? Something that doesn't have 36 Megapixels? maybe with a little faster shutter speed?

Hi Mitch - just to clarify things.

D800 has 36mp and the D600 / D610 both have 24mp sensor.

I can understand why someone would avoid the D800 since it also obligated me to upgrade my desktop computer. I also used to own the D700.

The standard that Nikon has been introducing lately is 24mp especially with is DX line up.

It appears that the Nikon Df (16mp and uses the same sensor as the D4) would be your camera if the D4 cost much more. Like the D700, which is a FX camera without video, has better noise handling at higher ISO and it offers slightly more mega pixels than the D700. It won't have the video feature that you might be looking for since you mentioned the 5D MkIII.

The other options are the Sony full frame mirror-less cameras but they don't offer a lot of lens selections yet.

pullmyfinger

Thank you Marcel,

I appreciate your thoughts. There's nothing missing for me, with my D700. I love the camera.
I was actually thinking about getting another one....but that led me to think about another FX body, and what might be coming up next from Nikon.

I'm in no hurry to get a second body, if I do it will be after the beginning of the year.
The investment of the camera housing means I will stick with the D700 for underwater photos, and I certainly wouldn't mind getting another D700....but I don't know how practical that would really be.

My thinking is that I would probably choose from the current models.

I'm deploying to Afghanistan next February, and am thinking about getting that second FX body around January.

I'll give some thought to the D600. As you said, the prices are dropping.
I don't mind cleaning the sensor.
I believe that the problems with the D600 have been overstated on the different forums.

I think the D600 is selling for around $1,500 here in Japan. Based on what I've seen from other camera models.....the the cameras that are bundled with lenses will really start to drop in price.

Thanks again. :)

Cheers,
Mitch

pullmyfinger

Hi Mitch - just to clarify things.

D800 has 36mp and the D600 / D610 both have 24mp sensor.

I can understand why someone would avoid the D800 since it also obligated me to upgrade my desktop computer. I also used to own the D700.

The standard that Nikon has been introducing lately is 24mp especially with is DX line up.

It appears that the Nikon Df (16mp and uses the same sensor as the D4) would be your camera if the D4 cost much more. Like the D700, which is a FX camera without video, has better noise handling at higher ISO and it offers slightly more mega pixels than the D700. It won't have the video feature that you might be looking for since you mentioned the 5D MkIII.

The other options are the Sony full frame mirror-less cameras but they don't offer a lot of lens selections yet.

Hi Glenn,

That's sort of the main issue with me about the high megapixel D800. I travel a lot for my job. I just spent 3 months aboard the USS Truman, and will be going other places for the next few years as part of regular rotations. So using a laptop is it for me. As much as I would love to have a big desk top, with the big monitor to go with it.....I am going to have to use a laptop for post processing and storage.

That's the main reason I'm concerned about the D800....it's an awesome camera....maybe too awesome!...for me anyway.

I'll look more at reviews of the D600....which is certainly a bargain with the prices going down.

The D610 looks interesting, but I really haven't been paying attention to the reviews so far, but I will now.

The new Df definitely looks interesting....you've sparked my interest. Video isn't that important to me.....I would probably only use that feature occasionally. I'm interested in photography, so video capability isn't a concern.

I only mentioned the 5D MarkIII.....just because it seems to get such rave reviews about being such a great all around camera.......not too hot, not too cold....but just right.

I want to stay with Nikon....but I'm hoping they hit that sweet spot that Canon seems to have done with the 5D Mark III.

Maybe the Df or the D610 is Nikon's "just right".

Thank you for the recommendation.

Cheers,
Mitch

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Mitch,

One important thing you might want to consider is that getting a D600 means having to carry 2 different charger, batteries, and, more importantly, the controls on the 600 are very different from the 700.

For these reasons, getting another 700 would mean complete compatibility between the two, much easier handling since you already are used to where is what on the camera. If you don't print poster size prints, the 700 is a King of cameras, shines in low light and has a very well sealed body and perfect track record.

I'd get another one if only to be able to use the same underwater housing (these are rather expensive aren't they).

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hi Glenn,
Maybe the Df or the D610 is Nikon's "just right".

Thank you for the recommendation.

Cheers,
Mitch

If I was going to upgrade to FX, the D610 and Df would be my choice. D800 if you do studio type and wedding photography. D600 can be problematic with the over lubrication on its sensor. D610 would be a safer choice since Nikon replaced it with a better sensor. Between the D610 and Df, I would still go with the Df because of the higher performance of its sensor at higher ISO. Everybody has their own preference but that's just me since I have not experience a camera that can easily shoot at ISO 12,800.

Like you, my D700 have traveled with me before throughout my deployments before when I was on board GW.

Last edited:

pullmyfinger

Mitch,

One important thing you might want to consider is that getting a D600 means having to carry 2 different charger, batteries, and, more importantly, the controls on the 600 are very different from the 700.

For these reasons, getting another 700 would mean complete compatibility between the two, much easier handling since you already are used to where is what on the camera. If you don't print poster size prints, the 700 is a King of cameras, shines in low light and has a very well sealed body and perfect track record.

I'd get another one if only to be able to use the same underwater housing (these are rather expensive aren't they).

The print size I normally use is a 4PW here in Japan...it's about 15" x 10".
I'm not printing anywhere near the limit of what my D700 can do.

I think I'll compare the D600, D610, and that new Df to maybe finding another D700 in excellent condition.

A lot to thing about, but I have time. I'm looking at January time frame for a possible purchase.

Thank you,
Mitch

pullmyfinger

If I was going to upgrade to FX, the D610 and Df would be my choice. D800 if you do studio type and wedding photography. D600 can be problematic with the over lubrication on its sensor. D610 would be a safer choice since Nikon replaced it with a better sensor. Between the D610 and Df, I would still go with the Df because of the higher performance of its sensor at higher ISO. Everybody has their own preference but that's just me since I have not experience a camera that can easily shoot at ISO 12,800.

Like you, my D700 have traveled with me before throughout my deployments before when I was on board GW.

I'm scheduled to go to the GW next July/August. :)

pullmyfinger

Thanks for all of the input and advice, Gentlemen.
I will probably end up getting a used D600 in January.

They are available new over here for $1,500......they will drop again soon. So I'll keep an eye on the D600 price adjustments over the next month.

I think used prices in the US are going to be right at $1,000 very soon.
Refurbished cameras are already nearing $1,300.

Either way.....the D600 is really starting to look like a bargain. I'm not worried about the oil/shutter/sensor issue. It think it's over hyped online...and has only served to drive the used prices down.

The D600 could very well become one of the all time best deals ever!
I just sold my D7000 and DX lenses, to free up some cash for a D600. :)

Thanks again Gents, for the guidance.

Cheers,
Mitch