a reunited nikonite

stefan22

am not new to nikon cameras. have owned/used and sold on a v1 ji and j2. a p7100 and a d7000. liked the v1 j1 and p7100. loved the j2. it (the j2) was what the j1 should have been from the outset. could NOT get to grips with the d7000. had so many (live view) focus problems. sent it to nikon for repair and it came back exactly the same. was it me? was it the camera? I tinkered with it and followed all available online help..but getting any sort of consistency from the live view mode proved totally elusive. it was like having two cameras. a 3/10 live view camera and a 10/10 evf camera. as a relative newcomer to the world of dslr's I think the d7000 was too much camera for me at the time. when originally researching the d7000 I could not find anything other than glowing reviews...yet when digging deeper into the 'focus' issue I discovered a mountainous amount of disgruntled users. at the time I felt extremely ridiculed by the 'highbrow' nikonites' who seemed intent on suggesting/saying 'doh .. user error' .. but I feel that my 'issues' were NOT down to me and revealed a serious flaw. I bought into sony (nex) and pentax (k) and have had nothing but glowing praise for the f3 and k30 I have. I nevertheless wanted to have a nikon to hand and have now invested in a used d3100. am excited about what I will be receiving and am looking forward to reuniting with nikon. stay tuned for update

Bill16

Welcome! The D3100 is a pretty good Nikon, and I have one that has worked very well for me. Be sure to read the manual and it should serve you well. :)

stefan22

am not upset. if you've read the WHOLE welcome you will plainly see/read that it's a clumsy 'insensitive' welcome.
there are many many folk out there who take great joy in laughing at others and very often do so with a ridiculing intent/motive. there are also MANY MANY folk out there who would NEVER laugh at anyone...even IF there was good cause.
'learn to laugh at yourself .. as many folk will' would be ok ... but to use the words 'as EVERYONE else will' is statistically/factually incorrect.
have never ever read such a welcome before.
personally .. I would never dream of writing/saying this to someone I know ... let alone someone I don't know!
not sure why you can't see it for the clumsy/insensitive welcome it is?

Bill16

I have read all the replies to your intro, and I've just reread them again, I couldn't find any negative or insensitive posts. A lot of the people welcoming you are fairly new themselves including myself. I know I wasn't making fun of you, and I couldn't see any posts that were even in the least way. As far as my suggestion about the manual goes, I am constantly using mine as a reference and I've found it very helpful when you buy a different model than your use to.
Anyway I'm sorry you feel that way, and I hope you'll still be able to enjoy your time here. :)
am not upset. if you've read the WHOLE welcome you will plainly see/read that it's a clumsy 'insensitive' welcome.
there are many many folk out there who take great joy in laughing at others and very often do so with a ridiculing intent/motive. there are also MANY MANY folk out there who would NEVER laugh at anyone...even IF there was good cause.
'learn to laugh at yourself .. as many folk will' would be ok ... but to use the words 'as EVERYONE else will' is statistically/factually incorrect.
have never ever read such a welcome before.
personally .. I would never dream of writing/saying this to someone I know ... let alone someone I don't know!
not sure why you can't see it for the clumsy/insensitive welcome it is?

stefan22

my reactive reply was to a welcome that read:
'learn to laugh at yourself ... everyone else is'.
I specifically replied to THAT welcome and my reply has nothing to do with the welcomes passed on from anybody else

Bill16

That isn't a post. That is Roy's signature. I believe it goes with his avatar, and it is not directed at you or anyone else specifically.
As you can see in my signature a list of lenses I have, he has his to show he has a since of humor about himself. :)
my reactive reply was to a welcome that read:
'learn to laugh at yourself ... everyone else is'.
I specifically replied to THAT welcome and my reply has nothing to do with the welcomes passed on from anybody else

PapaST

Welcome aboard Stefan22!

Roy1961 has a signature line that states: Learn to laugh at yourself, everyone else is.:)

That line wasn't directed towards you specifically Stefan22. It's just a signature line that is basically "bumper sticker wisdom".

Have fun with your new Nikon!

stefan22

I know of it's (broad) 'bumper sticker' type origins/meaning...and I understand the highly probable (good) spirit in which it was written/relayed. I took no offense .. but I maintain that it's ill-judged and a little clumsy/insensitive ... and I neither am nor have I ever been in any way shape or form: PC