Just starting out

Pretzel

So far, I've had a bit of success in outdoor family photo sessions. I've got a 5-in-1 reflector/diffuser combo set, and will be piecing together a workable portable studio lighting set (Thanks, John, for the "DIY Cheap" thread!) until I can afford bigger steps, but until then, I'm targeting the next purchase to continue in this "side business" direction.

Working on a budget, I have 2 things in mind for the next purchase. A backup camera (probably a gently used D90, or if I'm really blessed, a refurb D7000), or a SB700 (or similar speedflash). Right now, I'm leaning toward the speedflash as the priority item, but thought I'd ask for "professional" opinions?

Last edited:

Bill16

I highly recommend the D90 for a reasonable priced DSLR, and as long as you get one in good shape, I think you'll like it a lot better than the D3100. I know I do, for sure! :)
I have the sb-700 on my wish list too. :D

Last edited:

WayneF

So far, I've had a bit of success in outdoor family photo sessions. I've got a 5-in-1 reflector/diffuser combo set, and will be piecing together a workable portable studio lighting set (Thanks, John, for the "DIY Cheap" thread!) until I can afford bigger steps, but until then, I'm targeting the next purchase to continue in this "side business" direction.

Working on a budget, I have 2 things in mind for the next purchase. A backup camera (probably a gently used D90, or if I'm really blessed, a refurb D7000), or a SB700 (or similar speedflash). Right now, I'm leaning toward the speedflash as the priority item, but thought I'd ask for "professional" opinions?

My notion is that the goal is "workable portable studio lighting set", and you have a camera, but don't have a flash?

Regarding flash, a D90 or D7000 does offer a Commander, for wireless remote TTL flash with a SB-700 (which you don't have yet).

But there are other more common ways to use flash, and most of studio work is manual flash anyway. And hot shoe fill flash can help portraits in outside too. Priorities seem an easy question. :)

Pretzel

The goal is continuing in the business and earning some funds, just questioning whether a back-up camera or speedflash would be the next logical choice as the next piece in the puzzle. Eventually, I will have them all, but I'm taking bite-sized chunks. :)

Krs_2007

I would vote for the flash as well. Its something you need to start learning, which is what I am doing now. Then save up for the backup camera, I dont have one and haven't really even thought about it. If I continue down the road that I started on this past weekend then I may need to look at one. You could always rent one if push comes to shove.

Nathan Lanni

What's your budget?

If you see yourself doing more family shootings, I agree with the others here, an off camera flash is good to give you more flexibility with your lighting.

Also, as mentioned, the d7000 would be a step up for you in terms of more/easier control of the camera than your d3100. I understand the video capabilities of the d7000 are better than the d90.

Last edited:

Browncoat

If your focus is on outdoor portraits, then a flash and lighting modifiers are steps in the right direction. A second camera is always nice, but if your first one is kept in good shape, then you won't need a second one.

I would also suggest investing in a good light meter. Outdoor lighting can be tricky, and when you're working with additional portable lighting, it gets even trickier. A good light meter can help smooth out the rough spots and save you a lot of trial and error in front of clients.

Pretzel

If you see yourself doing more family shootings, I agree with the others here, an off camera flash is good to give you more flexibility with your lighting.

Also, as mentioned, the d7000 would be a step up for you in terms of more/easier control of the camera than your d3100. I understand the video capabilities of the d7000 are better than the d90.

Looks like the flash will be the next step. Would love to have an off camera flash in the sense of a remotely controlled speedflash/umbrella set-up, but with the D3100, that's definitely going to involve a couple of wireless transceivers plus the flash. It really just depends on how many shoots I get in the cold months, etc. May be that I continue doing what I do, then when the spring hits, and business ramps up, I go from there, but *hopeful* that I have the next step in place before the spring weather returns!

Never know, although it's a stretch, perhaps I'll find a way to fund the D7000 and an SB-700 and knock it all out at once! :) Then I could work on finding a D90 as a back-up and try to get my son interested in the D3100.

I would also suggest investing in a good light meter. Outdoor lighting can be tricky, and when you're working with additional portable lighting, it gets even trickier. A good light meter can help smooth out the rough spots and save you a lot of trial and error in front of clients.

That is the truth. A nice shady area helps, but when you've got patches of sunlight trickling in, it definitely makes for a challenge. For now, I get really close with being picky about where I set up, matrix metering and some spot adjustments in LR. I learned rather quickly that you'd rather be a little underexposed than a little over. Most of the time, I'll have my assistant (son or wife, LOL) hold up a flexible gray card in a couple of areas (sun/shade), take quick readings, then find the right split from there. The trick so far is in having a few choice places that I "suggest" for the shoot, depending on whether they want urban, industrial, brick, natural... then knowing what times of day make for the best shots. I've used them enough, and have taken enough practice shots with the fam, that I'm comfortable. If a client suggests a new spot, I'll usually try to arrive early and gray card it.

I guess a meter would help save me some time and trouble, though! :cool:

Browncoat

Map-A-Pic location scouting and The Photographer's Ephemeris...two smartphone apps that I highly recommend for the location shooter. Look em up, you'll be glad you have em. :)