Bokeh — A different way of treating it…

Bob Blaylock

CSC_6374.jpg

Some time ago, I came up with the idea of making a disk to stick on the front of my old ƒ1.4 50mm lens, with a heart-shaped cutout, in order to get the bokeh to take on a heart shape. (The main reason for using this lens was its large maximum aperture. A smaller aperture would mean I'd have top make a smaller cutout.)

A bit later, it occurred to me to see if there might be any pre-made stencils I could find at Hobby Lobby, to expand on the idea.

So far, I've taken several pictures with the heart-bokeh disk, and just tonight, I made a flower-bokeh-disk with one of the stencils I got from Hobby Lobby, and took a picture with it. I've got several other stencils, yet to be used this way.

Ava_20131021_001601.jpg Allie_20131021_002147.jpg Allie_20131030_111942.jpg Allie_20131021_001605.jpg
HeartOfBokeh.jpg Seems like a concept worthy of further exploration and experimentation.

CSC_6377.jpg Anyone else feel like trying this idea? Post your results here.

WhiteLight

Yes there are a lot of pre-made stencils for getting different bokeh effects... I think you can check out Dtigga 'S daily thread.. He doesn't seem to be active at the moment but if u remember right he played a bit around with these stencils and got decent results

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

Bob Blaylock

Rain drops on chicken wire, using my flower-bokeh stencil, so that out-of-focus rain drops turn into flowers. I suppose it's easy to attribute more meaning to this than I was actually thinking when I did it—something about the cliché of “April showers (though this is in February) bring May flowers.”

RainOnChickenWire_20140209_082140 by bob_blaylock, on Flickr

And here, in red/blue anaglyph 3D:

RainOnChickenWire3D_20140209_082136 by bob_blaylock, on Flickr