Headshot Job!!!

RookieDSLR

I was recently hired to do some headshots for a major company here in Topeka so I thought I would get some practice in and use the owner/trainers at Anytime Fitness here in Topeka. They were thrilled with them and I made a little money out of it so it was win win for everyone. Here are a few samples for you to see and let me know what to change and maybe to do different when it comes to the major shoot I have to do in December with over 200 employees:concern: Thanks

Jeremy V

Girl Headshot Watermark.jpg Guy Headshot.jpg Sean Headshot 1 watermark.jpg Sean Headshot 2 Watermark.jpg Sean Headshot 3 small.jpg

Mike D90

I'd have used a different backdrop. Looks like stuff growin' outa their heads.

That is really my only dislike as well. Maybe a little less light and a little more shadow. They look to serve their purpose though, which must be shots to display inside the fitness office or lobby? Maybe a webpage photo?

WhiteLight

Maybe you can shop the background into something else..
And you need to do something about the second pic.. the guy's glasses have prominent reflections

Ijustwant1

As said the background and reflections , the first and second to last look the most relaxed IMHO , btw we have anytime fitness down under , they are every were !

grandpaw

I agree with the background being a problem. I also think that you need to use your imagination and change up the background because if you are going to be taking about 200 shots I would think that you would not want all of them looking alike except for the face in them. I realize that 200 different backgrounds is not possible but you need to add a little interest by having them with some varying backgrounds and not have such a cookie cutter look. I would like to add that in some pictures a plain background would be fine if they are wearing a shirt that indicates where they work. I would think that wherever these pictures will be used that the site or location they are displayed in will let everyone know where they are employed and not need anything in the picture itself to indicate where they work. The location of where the image is being displayed should be enough.

Last edited:

aroy

I would suggest a neutral background, say a white or grey sheet. You can always add custom background in PS.

Have you tried a fast f1.4 or f1.8 lense? If not try one, it will give you that beautiful out of focus background, so popular in major portrait work.

eurotrash

It's very possible a 1.8 or faster would be sharp on the nose/eyes and simply blow the subjects' ears OOF. I wouldn't go lower than f/4 personally unless I was certain that my DOF was ok at that aperture. This is also a very good reason to use backdrops. Besides, those lenses that are 1.8 - 1.4 are typically shorter in focal length than the generally accepted portrait range of 85mm-135mm. Though, I still cheat and use a 50 :p

Last edited: