Some Concert Pics From Friday Night

BackdoorArts

I was fortunate enough to land front row seats to see a couple guitar heroes of mine, Roger McGuinn and Marty Stuart, at the Musikfest Cafe in Bethlehem, PA on Friday night. I was even more fortunate that the venue and artist do not prohibit still photography. So, armed with my D600 and my 24-85mm (and wondering if I should have pulled the trigger on a 24-120mm earlier in the week - turns out I didn't need it) I parked my butt in my seat and enjoyed the heck out of the evening.

All shots are in Aperture mode, shot between f/7.1-f/9, camera set to Auto ISO with a max of 6400 and a min shutter speed of 1/80s, with most/all being at max ISO. Shots were minimally post processed using Nik Dfine 2.0 to cool the noise and Viveza 2 to tweak some shadows.

The full complement of shots can be seen in this Flickr set: Marty Stuart & Roger McGuinn, Musikfest Cafe 2013-11-08 - a set on Flickr

10757068924_7556e8f963_o.jpg

10759746415_f508cf348c_o.jpg

10776494193_a5ec4b952d_o.jpg

10759819366_a5515e5b19_o.jpg

10759745145_92c0d93c59_o.jpg

10759838714_60d3f839cd_o.jpg

10759840084_989a240c1e_o.jpg

10776257516_68c9cf12f1_o.jpg

Dave_W

The Dude
Very nice low light photos, Jake. I'm a surprised you chose such a small aperture. And I'm even more surprised how nice these turned out despite the high ISO. I'm shooting a gig this Thursday at the Maryjanes underground at the Hard Rock cafe San Diego. I'm thinking I'll give the higher ISO's a try.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I was fortunate enough to land front row seats to see a couple guitar heroes of mine, Roger McGuinn and Marty Stuart, at the Musikfest Cafe in Bethlehem, PA on Friday night. I was even more fortunate that the venue and artist do not prohibit still photography. So, armed with my D600 and my 24-85mm (and wondering if I should have pulled the trigger on a 24-120mm earlier in the week - turns out I didn't need it) I parked my butt in my seat and enjoyed the heck out of the evening. All shots are in Aperture mode, shot between f/7.1-f/9, camera set to Auto ISO with a max of 6400 and a min shutter speed of 1/80s, with most/all being at max ISO. Shots were minimally post processed using Nik Dfine 2.0 to cool the noise and Viveza 2 to tweak some shadows. The full complement of shots can be seen in this Flickr set: Marty Stuart & Roger McGuinn, Musikfest Cafe 2013-11-08 - a set on Flickr
10759819366_a5515e5b19_o.jpg

I am amused by how the strap is attached! ;) I don't think I've seen anything quite like it. :)

BackdoorArts

I am amused by how the strap is attached! ;) I don't think I've seen anything quite like it. :)

That's actually fairly typical of F-style mandolins, and vintage mandos in particular. No one wants to add holes to them.

Very nice low light photos, Jake. I'm a surprised you chose such a small aperture. And I'm even more surprised how nice these turned out despite the high ISO. I'm shooting a gig this Thursday at the Maryjanes underground at the Hard Rock cafe San Diego. I'm thinking I'll give the higher ISO's a try.

I wanted to make sure I got interplay among the guys in the band, and I got what I wanted. I would have hated to get one guy tack sharp as he leans into another and have the other guys soft. I'm so confident in the D600's ability to give me acceptable noise at high ISO that it wasn't even a worry for me, even when my shutter speed went below the min 1/80s that I had set with the Auto ISO. I would have loved to have brought the D800 in as well, but that's pushing your luck in a concert venue with no photo credential.

BackdoorArts

Great shots Jake. The D 600's sensor is really great.

It truly is, Marcel. Just to give you an idea of what kind of "noise" I was dealing with at ISO 6400, here are three copies of a close crop for one of the photos above.

Copy 1: Straight out of the camera into Lightroom, no adjustments. Slightly underexposed (on purpose).

_D620303.jpg

Copy 2: Same as above but with a click of the "Auto" exposure adjustment. Noise is now evident, but not horrible given the ISO level.

_D620303-2.jpg

Copy 3: Copy 2 with the Lightroom Noise Reduction only (slider moved from 0 to 41), no other adjustments or sharpening.

_D620303-3.jpg

As you can see, you don't need a lot of NR software to make a more than usable image (I prefer Nik Dfine's ability to control based on color instead of just global NR reduction). I could have easily done all of my work in Lightroom and been more than OK if I needed to. It's a great low light camera. Heck, it's just a great camera.