Help

PhotoCrazy

Good Morning,

Looking for some guidance. I love love love taking pictures !! So much that I went from a sony point and shoot right to the Nikon D200.

Crazy I am finding out :) I am hearing f stops, iso, shutter speed.

Where does a girl start ? Hoping someone may have some great advise !! would love to move to the Man mode instead of having to shoot in auto.
I have taken a few classes but all seem to be over my head. Needing to start from the beginning.

Any suggestions ?
Thanks !!
Happy New Year !

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Hello! Welcome to the site.

When I first started I read as much as I could about each major settings on the camera. I then set the camera to auto mode and payed attention to those settings (shutter speed, aperture, iso) in different lighting situations. I also experimented a lot with different focal lengths.

Make sure you know and understand all the settings on the camera. You probably won't use some of them, but it's good to know your way around the camera well.

Good luck and happy picture taking :)

Joseph Bautsch

There are two things you will be learning. One is the digital functions of the camera and the second is making an exposure. There are a number of books, the users manual, and others on the market on explaining the camera functions. For learning to make exposures, I recommend you get the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. That will give you the information you need on f/stops, ISO, shutter speed, and all the other things you need know. It's also recommended when trying to learn from a book you take camera in hand and duplicate what you are reading. Take it one step at a time and don't try to rush it. Trying to do too much at one time will only frustrate you. It just takes time to learn a new hobby, make it fun. And by all means if you get stuck on a subject or don't understand something, ask the question here. Someone will be able to help.

It will also help us to help you if you will complete your profile with some information about yourself, your camera, lens and any other equipment you may be learning to use.

Last edited:

Carolina Photo Guy

Welcome to Nikonites! I'm glad you are ready to take the journey.

The above comments are spot on. All I can add is don't be in such a rush to learn everything.

You have the rest of your life. Slow down and enjoy the process.

Also... Go Here Classroom - MorgueFile

Its free to join and you will get as much out as you put in. Put a lot in, you'll get a lot out.

Hope this helps.

Pete

fotojack

Welcome, PhotoCrazy, to Nikonites and the rest of the photo crazy crew! :) Great choice of camera ya got there. There are a few of us D200 shooters in here, and we'll be more than glad to help you out in any way we can. Like has been said, take your time. You won't learn all this overnight. Also, go to the Out of Production DSLR section in here and in the D200 section, you'll see lots of posts on your camera. Hope this helps. Happy shooting. :)

Ruidoso Bill

Joseph advised you well, you need to learn about making an exposure, there are tons of sites to help you with that ISO, shutter and aperture settings and use. Then there is you camera and most start with the owners manual and go from there. Welcome to the site and use it as a resource to help you on your way.