Telephoto lens

Eob

I'd like to get a telephoto new lens for my d3100, mostly for taking zoo/nature pics, and background blur for portraits. I get frustrated with the lack of zoom with the kit lens. Im looking to spend about $200, and would buy used if thats an option. I thought what I wanted was pretty simple, but after looking at the telephoto lenses ranging from 150-1000 I'm throughly confused. Also, with the d3100, do you have to get a motorized lens?

Eob

Thanks! That one looks like it would fit my needs. I could spend a bit more if its worth it. I'm a still a newbie with the dslr, but am I going to want a better lens than the one you sent soon?

Bill16

If your trying to catch a fast shot while you have a chance, the getting a AF-S lens is the best way to go! I tend to take more unrushed photos so I bought mostly AI manual focus lenses for my needs! :D
But from what you've described I think Don is right, and a good AF-S lens would likely work best for your needs! :D

skene

awesome deal from Cameta. Great people to deal with as well. Used to go into the shop when I worked in that area for all my camera needs.

I have a 55-300 that I purchased from Adorama as refurbished and couldn't tell it wasn't new. Even got a second one of the same for my sister...same thing. Also couldn't beat their free freight and super fast delivery. My D7000 was here in 2 days when I got it. A plus for me was no tax to boot.

Mike D90

My advice is to get the most telephoto reach you can get first time around. If you even think you will be shooting shots of birds, particularly small birds from anything more than a 20 foot distance, then start looking for something in the 400mm range minimum. Get the fastest f/stop lens you can afford. If your bird shots will be done while at a zoo, or somewhere else where birds are captive, then the 55-300mm will probably be fine for you.

dramtastic

My advice is to get the most telephoto reach you can get first time around. If you even think you will be shooting shots of birds, particularly small birds from anything more than a 20 foot distance, then start looking for something in the 400mm range minimum. Get the fastest f/stop lens you can afford. If your bird shots will be done while at a zoo, or somewhere else where birds are captive, then the 55-300mm will probably be fine for you.

+ One