Newbie Advice Needed - Old lenses - New Camera?

zarnak21

I am looking to get a digital camera on a super budget.

I currently have:
  • Nikon FM2
  • NIKKOR 50mm 1:1.2 (are these lenses any good?)
  • NIKKOR 200mm 1:4

I went in to 2 different Camera shops to ask about getting a DSLR that I could use with the lenses. I was told no, not unless I go for a high end camera...

Is this true?

I was thinking of getting a second hand D5000 for about £170 but now I'm unsure.
What would you recommend?

Brian

They are fine lenses- I suspect you have the AI or AIs version of the 200/4, which was a compact 5-element lens. The 50/1.2 is a very fast lens, and goes in the $400 range used.

You need a DSLR with an AI coupling to meter with these lenses. Other Nikon DSLR's will work with the lens, but will not meter with them. The Nikon D200 is an example of a used camera that has AI coupling to work with the meter. The D5000 does not have Ai coupling, and the meter will not work with your lenses. You can use them manually with a handheld meter. I'd go for the D200.

D200 from Nikon

Last edited:

Fred Kingston

Your lenses will work fine. They just won't auto-focus because the D5000 doesn't have a focus motor in the body. You'll have to focus those lenses manually... Which a lot of people coming from the older cameras like yours have no problem doing...

Mfrankfort

You can use them, just can't auto focus, but looking at your stuff, shouldn't be a problem. There are a lot of good cameras out there. I'd go to the store, and play around with some, and see which ones you like. Or spend 3k on the F4, and it'll be like you never put your old one down. lol

Bill16

I mostly use older lenses myself, as you can see in my signature! Lol I have to use manual mode, but they work great if you don't need AF!

Welcome to nikonites! :D

speedandstyle

Those lenses will fit and can be used in manual mode. Note that you will have to use a hand meter or just guess. I have a D500 and use some of my old lenses including pre-AI but I just guess and then adjust until I get it right. The 50mm f1.2 is a keeper if it is in good shape.