flying.. travel Q's

Sevenup

I'll be flying with a few children (an infant) and my camera across the country with layovers.
I'm not comfortable in my own skin with the camera yet, travelling with it makes me nervous! Any recommendations?

I still have the "Rugged" bag that B&H sent with my 7000. I hate it but haven't settled on a good bag and probably wouldn't buy one right now unless it was pretty affordable. I only have 2 lenses so far to carry around. Is there an affordable option camera bag that could fit inside another carry-on?

I will be visiting the Oregon coast. Any recommendations on dealing with the humidity/mist/drizzle/fog of the PNW- do I need to do anything special for traveling to another climate?

Thanks!

BackdoorArts

What lenses? What other type of carry-on - a laptop case/backpack, roller suitcase, ??? Do you need it just for the plane or should it be functional once you get there? I could recommend almost anything without the answers. Having done a lot of traveling, my recommendation would be that if you're bringing a laptop then some type of laptop bag that will also accommodate a camera would be idea - either a backpack or a messenger bag variety. This way you kill two birds with one stone.

If you're sticking it in a suitcase and don't need to pull it out during the trip, cap everything, bubble wrap it and stick it in there without a bag, knowing that there's always an outside chance that they'll require you to check the suitcase if the bag is too big for the overheads or if you board late enough that the overheads are full (i.e. I do not recommend this approach - though if you pack well you shouldn't need to worry, just keep them in the middle of the bag and not on top, because the luggage handlers land bags on the top, not on the back where the supports are).

RockyNH_RIP

I'll be flying with a few children (an infant) and my camera across the country with layovers.
I'm not comfortable in my own skin with the camera yet, travelling with it makes me nervous! Any recommendations?

I still have the "Rugged" bag that B&H sent with my 7000. I hate it but haven't settled on a good bag and probably wouldn't buy one right now unless it was pretty affordable. I only have 2 lenses so far to carry around. Is there an affordable option camera bag that could fit inside another carry-on?

I will be visiting the Oregon coast. Any recommendations on dealing with the humidity/mist/drizzle/fog of the PNW- do I need to do anything special for traveling to another climate?

Thanks!

I have flown several times with my gear... My camera bag is one of my 2 carry-ons.. I do NOT put mine inside of a carry-on..

As far as a bag, I have a Lowepro but they are not that in-expensive.. will the Rugged "work" for the trip?? If so, consider using it until you can decide what you really want/need.

Pat in NH

Sevenup

The Rugged is just very clumsy, its a big funky rectangle. I think its way too big, just a waste of space (when considering packing to travel). When I carry it it seems to fly around my body if its on a longer strap and if its shorter it sticks so far out its constantly bumping into things. Besides that, it works. I have been meaning to replace it, I just hadn't settled on anything. It works great for how I use it- a basically stationary camera bag :)

My lenses aren't large- they are the 50mm and 18-105. I honestly only see the need to hook up one and take it- taking pictures will not be hardly any focus of my reason for going, but I do want to shoot what I see :)

I am not sure I've seen a laptop bag that would carry my camera also. My laptop is 17". I hate carrying it around!

For traveling, I usually carry a small rolling suitcase that is maxxed out in carry on size. I pack in that my laptop,, ipad, camera bag, and travel essentials (which are numerous with a few children and no other adult!). I usually carry the baby in a small fabric backpack style carrier so my arms are free for dealing with rolling luggage. I will need to carry a diaper bag for my smaller carry on unless I can stuff it in the small rolling suitcase- which seems unlikely. I will have 3 children with me, one of them a baby, totally dependent on me.

I do not need my camera at all the day of travelling.

I'm open to getting luggage or another camera bag... I am just unsure of what will work with my situation.

Last edited:

Pretzel

I love my LowePro AW-202 (Amazon.com: Lowepro SlingShot 202 AW: Camera & Photo) just for the ease of carrying/access. It's a one strap sling bag, so you can wear it like a backpack yet quickly spin it around and get to the camera or other compartments at ease. Plus it has a stability strop to hold it in place a bit more securely if ya like, although I never use it. I've climbed the hills of Arkansas, hopped across rocks in creeks etc., navigated crowded shopping centers and carried it to work every day for the last year... haven't found a situation where it hasn't worked for me yet.

It holds all of the gear in my signature except for the tripod, for me, and it even has a place to strap the tripod onto the side if I ever wanted. Then, in the extra compartments, I have a floppy fold-up gray card, a few lens pens, the battery charger, extra battery, a handheld air blower, wired shutter release, couple of extra SD cards and an emergency pack of gum!! Plus, depending on what you're hauling, there's a larger 302, or a smaller 102, all for reasonable prices. It even has a stowaway all weather cover in case you get caught in the rain. Granted, I haven't used it as a carry-on for flights, but I'm pretty sure it meets the size requirements.

(I just linked to the Amazon site, I think B&H and a couple of other places have it for a little less depending on shipping)

Last edited: