Hi From Kota Kinabalu Sabah, Malaysia. and a question.

abie1295

Hi nikonites. I've just joined this forum and is happy about it. :D , I've been following this forum like 2 to 3 but just registered today after buying a new nikon D7100 last 2 weeks before. I really hope to learn a lot from you guys and share moments of photography.

I am a total newbie, truth is, this D7100 is my very first dslr, before I was just using nikon coolpix 3000. So, as I was saying hi and greetings I also wanted to ask a question about this D7100 i was using.

Mine is, Nikon D7100 with kit lens 18-105 mm. that's all I have.

So here is the problem. It's about the exposure compensation on manual mode. I have changed it times but the final image had no change. Even between two images with -5 ev and +5 ev compared, the image exposure look the same.
1. There are no problems on other mode like the P mode and NightVision Effect. All works perfectly. But when I use M, the exposure compensation does not effect the final image at all.

2. I've tried everything I've read from many forums and google on internet, but didn't find any effective method.

3. I've used the matrix, center-weighted, and spot metering but nothing happen.

4. When using bracketing, the exposure changed just fine, but after turning bracketing off, then it didn't work again.

5. I've reset all settings tons of times but still the same.

Lawrence

Welcome to the forum. I don't have a D7100 so can't help except to say if you are in manual you may not be able to use exposure compensation - doesn't that defeat the point of Manual? Just my initial thoughts

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Welcome to Nikonites.

As far as the problem you are describing, well it's not really a problem. The exposure compensation in manual mode is done by changing the shutter speed, aperture or ISO <Manually> while observing the exposure display moving either on the + or - side. So the way to do this is find the recommended settings using the camera's light meter and then changing one of the above mentioned setting until the meter shows the correction you want.

It should be explained in the user's manual.

Enjoy your NIkon.

Lee532

Hi, welcome from the UK. Just setting off to the airport and heading to Borneo for a fortnight. Will be in Kota Kinabula next week!

abie1295

Hello and thank you for the welcome everyone! It's a pleasure joining and getting to know great bunch like you guys. :)

As for my problems, I'm a total newbie, thanks Marcel for the advice now I know. I really thought something was wrong while actually it was just me not knowing. :D , haha, anyway, enjoy your nikon to sir.

To LEE532 , that's great man! :D , You'll have good times. I really wish you all the fun while staying in this Land Below The Wind. :)

and once again, thanks to every nikonites for the welcome. I appreciate all of it with all my heart. Thank you! :)