Amazon 50mm f/1.8D

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Is this 50mm lens on Amazon a USA warrantied lens? The link states:

Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras.What's in the box: Nikon Normal AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Autofocus Lens, 52mm Front Lens Cap, Rear Lens Cap (slip-on) and 5-Year Warranty (1-Year International + 4-Year USA Extension).

The price is $109 which is the price B&H is selling the imported version.

Amazon link

Horoscope Fish

I've gotten a few lenses Nikon lenses from Amazon and had nothing but a good experience... Well, they did send me a Tokina 11-16mm with a Canon mount once, but even then they made the exchange about as painless as it could be.

BackdoorArts

Given that this text is included...

Important Warranty Information: All Nikkor autofocus lenses from Nikon Inc. USA include four years of Nikon Extended Service Coverage at no charge. Be sure to look for the Nikon ESC certificate with every Nikkor lens purchase you make.

...I would have to think that you're OK, and that if you don't get the certificate that you would be able to get Amazon to remedy the situation in short order.

WayneF

Is this 50mm lens on Amazon a USA warrantied lens? The link states:

The price is $109 which is the price B&H is selling the imported version.

Amazon link

I would beware. I believe Amazon to be reputable, but somehow this one does NOT say it is the USA warranty. It talks around it, and seems to imply some third party warranty/service. What it does say is that lenses from NikonUSA have the USA warranty. It does not say this is one of them. But, it probably could be returned.

You should look at B&H, at least for the description. This is only a D lens, and is NOT an AF-S lens, and what that means is (from B&H): Autofocus is not supported by D40, D40x, D60, D3000, D3100, D3200, D5000, D5100, D5200 cameras--manual focus must be used when lens is mounted on any of these cameras

That could be very important.

BackdoorArts

If you just do a search on Nikon 50mm 1.8D you get 2 entries, one clearly marked Grey Market and one not. The Amazon sold link is the unmarked. Same price. It's a basic lens with very few moving parts so the likelihood of it ever failing are minimal, but for $15 difference buy where you're confident if it's important.

Bill16

I've just been looking at 50mm Nikon lenses myself, though I've been looking through eBay for used mostly. I wanted one that would be great on a full frame Nikon, thinking of my future plans. But the fx versions looked a bit cheaply made in comparison to the DX version,and it made me hesitant for now to buy one. So I chose an ai 50mm f1.8 for now, even though it cost just as much or more than the AF-D version.
So I'd be very careful to get either a AF-S version or to be sure your getting a good warranty.

But I'm sure others here including those who posted before I did, likely know much more about this than I do. I just wanted to share my thoughts, since I just bought a Nikkor 50mm ai lens. :)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I know this is an AF-D lens and not one that will work with some of the entry level Nikons. Like WayneF said, they talk around the warranty without specifically saying whether it is a USA or Grey market. I've been on the fence about getting a 50mm f/1.8 lens. I know it is available as a 'G' lens, too, and have read conflicting reports about whether the 'D' lens is or isn't as sharp as the 'G' version. Some say it is close to the 'G' in sharpness.

I have some rewards money through B&H that I need to use before the middle of the month but haven't decided on anything specific. The price would still come in less than $109 after applying the rewards money via B&H for a USA warranty. Just not totally sure I need a 50mm lens though.

aroy

Unlike bodies, the Nikon lenses have International warranty, so you will get warranty repairs (but only for 1 year) for this lense. If B&H says that there is an additional 4 years US warranty, then they have bought one, but please check it with then. That said, the D lense does not have an inbuilt motor, hence while it will not work with many models, it will also not go bad as fast.