Good evening from Warwick, UK!

Mineores

Hi all, I've just bought my 1st DSLR, the D3200, from Amazon for £349 with £30 cashback. This came with the 18-55mm lens kit.

I'm completely new to photography in general (am 18 years old) but I've used my fathers Sony a290, and my grandfather owned a camera store so I had lots of fun in there.

I've been mostly doing point and shoot generally, and messed around with some of the settings but at the moment the auto photos seem to come out a lot better the ones where I've changed it to manual! I've been testing photos with different Iso levels, from 100 - HI 1 and I can certainly see the difference there. What tips would you give to a newbie like me? Just simple things to alter to make my photos a little different.

I'm from Warwick, Warwickshire (UK), haven't seen many other British users round here yet!

​Cheers

Bill16

Welcome to nikonites! There are members from all over on this forum! :) I started off mostly shooting in manual mode myself, and I was a total newbie too. You can learn a lot doing trial an error method and you'll find you can get better photos than by just point and shooting on full auto. Also you need to get a good post processing app like Photoshop or lightroom. That can help a lot to get your shot they way your wanting it. :)
But there are much better photographers here than I am that you can get great advice from too! :D
Again, Welcome to the forum! :D

Mineores

Cheers! I am using Photoshop CC, slowly yet surely getting my head around it, very confusing but I'll get used to it one day.

Does anybody recommend change of manual settings from the ones you get when it comes out the box?

Bill16

The settings intirely depend on what your shooting, what type of lens your using,where your shooting at, and how good the light is. I started exploring shots in the house myself, and taking a test shot, and then adjusting the settings from there. But you can also check what the full auto setting are in a test shot, and you can copy them, making slight changes to see if it helps improve the photo. :)

Mineores

The settings intirely depend on what your shooting, what type of lens your using,where your shooting at, and how good the light is. I started exploring shots in the house myself, and taking a test shot, and then adjusting the settings from there. But you can also check what the full auto setting are in a test shot, and you can copy them, making slight changes to see if it helps improve the photo. :)

By this do you mean changing the settings like colour correction and stuff like that in the menu system post taking the shot? I haven't actually looked properly at all the menu items yet but I will do tomorrow hopefully

I may post some of the shots I've taken in the D3200 sub forum and see what people say to alter with my shots tomorrow, but it's 2300 so it's going to have to be tomorrow!

Ta

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Bill16

I don't mean color exactly. I meant aperture,how long the shutter is open for, and stuff like that. Photography is all about light, and how much light you let in and in what way it's let in to the sensor. I'm not explaining it very well at all, but other members here can explain it much much better. There are three settings that have to be balanced like a triangle to make a good photo, and how that is done can mean the difference between an awesome photo and a really bad photo.
Sorry, but I have not advanced that far in photography yet, and I lack the terminology to explain the basics of this topic very well. :(

But your idea of sharing your current shots is a good idea, and I'm looking forward to seeing them. :)

Welcome to the forum

If you fill out your profile we can better answer any questions that you might have.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Some useful links
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/ans.../nikon-product-manuals-available-for-download
Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor

Thanks

​Guidelines to adding a photo to your post.

1. Resize photo to 1000px on the long side.
2. Resolution set to 72ppi (Pixels Per Inch)

These guidelines will be good for viewing on a computer but will not be good for printing. This will help safeguard your copyright.

Mineores

Welcome to the forum

If you fill out your profile we can better answer any questions that you might have.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Some useful links
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/ans.../nikon-product-manuals-available-for-download
Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor

Thanks

​Guidelines to adding a photo to your post.

1. Resize photo to 1000px on the long side.
2. Resolution set to 72ppi (Pixels Per Inch)

These guidelines will be good for viewing on a computer but will not be good for printing. This will help safeguard your copyright.

Yeah, I'll try that out, cheers for that

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

wornish

Hello and welcome from Cheshire, UK. This is a great site and everyone here will genuinely help where they can.

Get posting, enjoy your new camera.