GOOD Nikon Service

friedmud

Often on blogs and forums all we hear about are the "bad" experiences with Nikon service centers.

As a recent convert from Canon (sold all my Canon gear about a year ago and bought a D600) I was worried when I needed to send my 24-70 f/2.8G in for service. Since I bought it, it had been front focusing on the wide end (and only on the wide end so I couldn't fix it with Fine Tune) and it had developed a bit of "gear grindiness" to the zoom mechanism.

With trepidation I sent it off - expecting to not have my workhouse lens for nearly 2 months (according to other blogs and forums I'd been reading). BUT NOT SO!

From the time I shipped it - to the day I received it back it was 10 days! The service didn't cost me a penny (under warranty) and the lens is now in perfect condition, focusing properly and super smooth to zoom.

Well done Nikon! I won't hesitate to send gear in in the future!

Any of you out there with recent _good_ stories about Nikon service?

Oh - and here are a couple of photos taken with my freshly fixed lens...

Attachments

• DSC_0842.jpg
    DSC_0842.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC_0853.jpg
    DSC_0853.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC_0866.jpg
    DSC_0866.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC_0985.jpg
    DSC_0985.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 99

Mark F

Just like other companies and their service departments... it really depends on the service center you send your equipment in to. Nikon has several all over the world. Some have great turnaround and service... some are slightly less satisfactory... and some really need an internal review. I've had problems with Nikon on the West Coast. From the Nikon d300 sent in to Nikon El Segundo where they lost the camera for a couple weeks, to the newest location in LA where they tried charging me for service not performed on my d600. In my experience, it takes them about 7 days to enter the equipment into their system... a few more days on the bench... and about 5 days return using UPS. But that is Nikon Los Angeles.

That said... I've heard nothing but good coming from people sending their gear into Melville, New York. I'm sure there are places around the globe where Nikon Service is well above average

Last edited:

Ruidoso Bill

Glad to hear of your good fortune with the Nikon service center you dealt with. Guess I've been very lucky or a good advocate but I have yet to send any of my Nikon products in for service, not bad if you consider all the years I've been using Nikon equipment. Knock on wood!