Number of Filters Before Vignetting

kluisi

I just got this 50mm f/1.8G for my D7000 and I am looking to put on a 58mm NC filter, then I would like to step it up to 77mm for use with a graduated neutral density and/or circular polarizer (to match future lenses that I would like to get).

Will I have any vignetting issues doing the NC filter, 58-67mm step-up, 67-77mm step-up, then one or both of the 77mm filters that I mentioned? Most likely I would only ever be using one of the 77mm filters at a time, but was wondering about the worst case scenario.

What if I ever upgrade from a DX body to an FX body?

Would it be better to get a lower quality 58-77mm step-up ring rather than the two good quality (B+W from Adorama) step-up rings that I mentioned (since I can't seem to find a B+W 58-77mm step-up ring)?

WayneF

What if I ever upgrade from a DX body to an FX body?

This FX would be the only concern, if in fact any concern then.

The DX field of view (and angle of view) is 2/3 of the FX view (1/1.5 crop). It is a FX lens, and DX sensors crop to only use a smaller central part of the wider FX lens view, so it obviously has lots of width to spare on DX. Here is a picture: FX - DX Lens Crop Factor

Even on FX, a step up should be no view problem, so we're only talking about the thickness of two filter rings. I don't know then, I have not seen it, but two filters seems minor that design ought to include? (50mm is far from any difficult wide angle case). My *guess* is there must that much room to spare. But any issue on DX seems unthinkable. :)

Last edited:

aroy

77mm filters are pretty expensive, while 58mm are not that much.

I would suggest that you just get the 58mm filters now. If and when you get larger lenses, then only think about getting larger filters.

BackdoorArts

77mm filters are pretty expensive, while 58mm are not that much.

I would suggest that you just get the 58mm filters now. If and when you get larger lenses, then only think about getting larger filters.

Depends on the filters, but I would heartily recommend investing in the large filter/step-up ring solution, because good ND's aren't cheap, and you can buy a lot of step-up rings for the price of a filter. I have UV's for every lens and circular polarizers in 3 sizes (67, 72 & 77mm). The ND's are all 77's. I have a set of graduated step up rings, and also one that goes directly from 67 to 77mm to save on filter size. I tend not to stack filters, but if I want to add an additional 1, 2 or 3 stop ND to my 10 stop then I'd rather save one ring. It saves a lot of space in the bag when I only need to carry one size and a pair of adapters.

Think about the lenses you have that you would want to use special use filters on, both now and later, and buy accordingly, because the drawbacks of step-down adapters are obvious.

BackdoorArts

On thing I should add, if you're putting on ND's or CP's then having a non-color or UV filter is unnecessary and you should remove them first. No reason to add more glass than necessary between the subject and the sensor.

kluisi

Thanks for the tips. Sounds like I won't have any issue using multiple step-up rings. Anyone have any quality step-up ring brands that maybe aren't as expensive as the B + W ones?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

aroy

The expensive filter casing and step up rings are made of hard brass compound, while the less expensive ones are made of aluminum. Aluminum has problem of sticking in cold weather and it being softer than brass can deform its threads easier. Consider the price of "expensive " step up rings with respect to the filters themselves (let alone the lenses) and it is a worth while investment as the rings will last practically for ever.