My Harper's BAZAAR and Nikon D800 Fashion Story

Hi All,

If interested, I want to share my first fashion editorial using my new Nikon D800 for the November Issue of Harper's BAZAAR. For most of the 10 page editorial I used the Nikkor 85mm f1.8G lens as well as the Nikkor 50mm f1.8G for another one.

In all cases, all of the images were shot wide open at f1.8.

Link to the video and all of the images here:

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/z0s2

Thanks
Ben

Kristina-Salinovic-Benjamin-Kanarek-Harpers-BAZAAR-Espanol-6.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi All,

If interested, I want to share my first fashion editorial using my new Nikon D800 for the November Issue of Harper's BAZAAR. For most of the 10 page editorial I used the Nikkor 85mm f1.8G lens as well as the Nikkor 50mm f1.8G for another one.

In all cases, all of the images were shot wide open at f1.8.

Link to the video and all of the images here:

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/z0s2
Thanks
Ben

Great serie Ben, I just love the feel you were able to get into the article.

Pretzel

Why is she so ANGRY all the time? LOL

FANTASTIC shoot. Love the feel of the wide open 1.8, and the rest is, well... you're already shooting for Harper's BAZAAR, so anything else I can say is moot. Thanks for sharing and inspiring!

Scott Murray

I am doing a wedding in February and might try this technique :) will let you know if it works or fails lol. I am more a landscape and animal photographer so this wedding will be interesting.

These are great images as always.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

crycocyon

That's putting the D800 and the 85 1.8 to excellent use! Very professional and elegant images. Very much appreciate you sharing your work here. It is funny that now I'm into portrait work, every time there is a woman's fashion catalog coming to our house for my wife, I find myself flipping through it to study the photographic technique. :D

If I may ask a question, how much of the time do you place the model in a pose and how much of the time does she simply fall into a pose? Is it mostly her, or a large part your own direction?

I have a studio shoot this Sunday so work like this is really inspiring. Thanks again!

crycocyon

Oh I forgot to mention, very surprised about the use of the wine glass. But it makes sense. The D800 images are so tack sharp that it really lends additional atmosphere. It is a great and inexpensive substitute to using a tilt-shift lens. But with the wine glass, are you shooting on a tripod? Or all hand-held? To what extent are you using strobes? Or just natural light?

That's putting the D800 and the 85 1.8 to excellent use! Very professional and elegant images. Very much appreciate you sharing your work here. It is funny that now I'm into portrait work, every time there is a woman's fashion catalog coming to our house for my wife, I find myself flipping through it to study the photographic technique. :D

If I may ask a question, how much of the time do you place the model in a pose and how much of the time does she simply fall into a pose? Is it mostly her, or a large part your own direction?

I have a studio shoot this Sunday so work like this is really inspiring. Thanks again!

When working with high end models, I never have much to do. Just let them go! I only use the glass to vignette the edges where desired.