Who am I?

alfaholic

Banned
I am a little confused...

First, I do not know what to photograph. I like many genres, but I am not sure what is my thing so I can devote to only one genre and learn everything I can, then maybe try something else and learn again.
Second, I am a little bit lost with my gear, what to use, how to make my life easier with everything I have, because now I have 3 lenses, D7000, many filters, Speedlight, cables, straps, charger, lens caps, about 10 kilograms of equipment.
Third, I am also lost between shooting and Photoshop editing, I need to decide whether to spend most of my time on planing and preparation for which I do not have the time, or just to shoot and then edit the good ones in PS.

The problem is I can not spend few hours every day just on shooting. My wife and I have 2 year old son, and I can hardly find enough time for my business, so my photography is closely related to my family's road trips, and holidays, which is not so bad, but even then I have free hands maybe few minutes per hour, we must carry at least one big bag for our son, then one or two bags for our personal stuff, phones, keys, and everything else, then a pushchair because he can not walk like normal person, no he wants to run everywhere and always, then I can bring my camera bag. Very complicated.

I am searching for a solution for my photography, I do not want to change my D7000 for compact camera, but I need to find a way to shoot in this conditions, also to know what to shoot. I need to decide which of my lenses to use most of the time, do I need some easy strap, or maybe I just need to wait for my son to grow up a little bit so I can have my both hands free. I do not see my self in changing lenses every few shots, just want to make a simple setup and just go and shoot.

I know all this sound stupid and silly, but I am just thinking out loud, and I hope someone had similar problems...

Last edited:

Lawrence

Sounds like any 2 year old.

Here is what I would do to keep the peace, be a good husband and father and take photos.

Just be aware that I am no expert photographer - I am a pretty good father and very good at annoying the wife so know the pitfalls. I also have 2 adult children and not enough photos of them as babies.

Throw a 50mm lens on that D7000 and hang the camera around your neck 24/7. Become an expert at photographing your little boy and your wife in everyday situations. Leave the rest of the camera gear at home for now until the little man slows down a bit. You have the rest of your life.

Good luck and be sure to post some photos of him up here.

Keep the 18-105 on the camera. IT is a good walk around lens and gives you the most flexibility. As to what to shoot I would start with your son. Kids need to be photographed a lot so there is a record of his life. Also you are spending time with your family while enjoying your hobby. As far as straps go I would get one of the Black Rapid straps that goes across the chest and around one arm and neck. You set it to hang right where your hand falls to your side. Not in the way if you are holding your son or doing something else but is ready to shoot in an instant.
Post processing should not really take that long once you get used to whatever program you are using. a couple of minutes a photo for everyday shooting. You will occasionally find a shot that you want to spend more time with but you can set that one aside till you have more time.
Carry your camera with you when you are out for a walk with the family and if you see something shoot it. You really don't have to stop and take a lot of time shooting it. NUT DO SHOOT IT.

Remember photography is not a all or nothing hobby. Work it into your normal life till you get to be my age and can then do whatever you want.

snaphappy

I got my first SLR in January and never used anything but auto on P&S cameras. I joined here when I got my D7000 and it has helped me be motivated to push myself and learn. I have 3 young children and so photography is far down my list of things to do in a day but I make time. I found taking a class to figure out the exposure triangle, and learn composition etc very helpful but there are tons of videos online. Don't pack everything with you just take the 35 or 50mm keep it light and simple and it'll keep it from being a chore. Stick a filter in your pocket if you think you need it and a shoulder strap is fantastic.

If you aren't studying to make this a career then relax, enjoy your family and capture those everyday moments the best you can. By pushing yourself to learn more when you can, you'll find you need to take less photos and you'll be more creative to capture those moments the way you want not the way the camera thinks you want. Personally I think learning the camera is more important than PP. I'm still focused only on my camera work but I figure if I have it right in the camera I can go back later when I have time to learn PP and make it an image instead of a photo. But if you take a crappy photo hoping to fix it in PP then you've lost the moment and the potential to make it great. My camera hasn't left M since June and only I choose my focus point not my camera so if my photos suck it's totally and completely my fault :) Play with things and take photos of lame things because by practicing you'll be ready when a great photo opportunity presents itself and you'll get it right. I take photos for enjoyment and to capture my family so only need to please them and myself.

I think photography should be fun and the more you learn the more fun it can be.

Michael J.

When my daughter aged nearly two years I bought her a toy camera. I took her in the living-room and told her to take photos of me. We had lots of fun, afterwards I took photos of her that was even funnier cos she tried to be me.

Nowaday she aged 6 and she's using my old D80 and is doing great. My wife is still not that keen on photography but I take photos of her, of our daughter and she is so proud to show them in the family, the friends and post them on FB too.

If I go to th ezoo, first I take photos of my family with some animals behind them after that I take the animals. Everyone get satisfied. My business is a time eater but I find lots of time to take pictures. O.K. I have to say I don't watch T.V that much just an hour a day (news).

I have a storyline in my mind and that is the way where I see my environment to take photos. That can be a walk-around, a close-up, etc..

Last but not least my family is the number one and my hobby is a great thing to capture the great moments with them.

I started in photography when my wife was pregnant with our first child. I took a photo course at the local junior college so I could learn about photography and the darkroom. Went from there to becoming a full time photographer to running a one hour photo lab, to running 100 one hour photo stores to owning to lab/camera stores and now back to just doing it for fun. Full circle.
My baby daughter is now 33 years old.

mikew_RIP

Some thoughts on your predicament,as Don said get 95% of your photography down to one lens,fit two cards in your camera shoot raw on one and jpeg fine on the other.
Most of your shots you will most likely be happy with jpeg,the odd one that you think could have been better is there in raw for you to play with,this way you get instant gratification but the option to go deeper on the odd one if you want.
What to shoot, well every thing at first, time will narrow it down to your favorite subjects,be a bit selfish and plan some family days out that will give you interesting photography subjects but still give the family a great day out.

Remember the snaps of your child in funny situations will probably mean more in years to come than studio type shots,your gear should last for years so you have time to grow into it.

mike

Jonathan

Everyone's right. I took photography up again once my youngest (of two) turned 10.

Some thoughts: I suggest you need to get a strap like this (I don't have this particular make): http://www.amazon.co.uk/walimex-Qui...039009&sr=8-1&keywords=camera+strap+paparazzi. When you're manhandling a child and related kit it keeps the camera out of your, and harm's, way.

Do NOT carry the camera bag around. You are almost always going somewhere with a camera with the hope of capturing occasional, real life, shots - you are NOT taking your young family on a photoshoot!

Yes, composition is very important. I find post processing is pointless unless there is at least something worth working on. Sometimes that can be a zoomed-in corner of an otherwise crap shot.

Take lots of photos, especially of moving objects. I always take double-taps so I can select the best to keep. Of flying birds and the like I just go click-click-click and hope I get at least one good shot! You do, of course, need to be hard and delete all the similar but, ultimately, bad shots. As long as you've got ONE good shot of the subject why keep 10 near-identicals?

Decide whether you are actually a happy snapper who needs a compact AND and DSLR. I have both for exactly this reason. Generally, any where I go on my personal time I take my D3100, 18-300 lens and that sling thingy. Other places (like when I travel on business) my Sony Cybershot comes with me. I think many people have both types.

In my camera bag sits ALL of my kit as a sort of archive. I dip in and take out what I want for the situation. Rarely do I take the bag itself anywhere with me on spec. If I take the bag it's going to be a photoshoot so the family sits comfortably as they know they won't be coming! Having said that, my oldest (12) has a second-hand D40 (via eBay) and my old 55-300 and 18-55 lenses. My youngest (11) has an Olympus compact.

alfaholic

Banned
Thank you all for your help. I was asking my self over and over, why do I need so much equipment if I use only one lens most of the time, and carry my camera with shoulder strap, so my other lenses, flash, filters, and three bags stay at home, confusing.
But, at the same time I do not want to sell my 35mm f1.8, or 50mm f1.8, I do not know the reason yet, I hope I will use them more in the future.
Maybe I bought everything too soon, I do not know, I am just a hobbyist maybe I need only camera and one lens.

I just ordered a shoulder strap, I think it will help in mobility, so I do not need to carry my bag all the time, all my gear will stay at home.
I was thinking about one big bag for everything I have, that bag will stay at home or in my car when traveling, and then strap for shooting, but then again I do not have everything with me while shooting, so now I keep everything in my drawer, I have National Geographic 2343 bag only for my camera with one lens attached. I hope this shoulder strap will make it more simple.

I am still confused, but at least moving in some direction. :)

snaphappy

Don't get rid of your stuff just don't carry everything when out with family. I say use your 35mm or 50mm because they are small and light. If you have your kid down playing in the park/walk/beach etc etc one of those lenses on your camera will be great and it'll be light. Then you can throw your flash on there and get some great shots as little one runs, climbs and explores. Candids of kids are the best. You will have a great chance to practice and try new things with your camera as the little one explores and has fun. If you are doing evening stuff the 1.8's are great. Winter means early nights so hand your kid some glow sticks and try out long exposures that is soooo much fun, my kids love it :)