Any Rumors/Insight on a D800 Replacement Soon (D810?)

MVCAD600

I'm a D600 owner and planning to purchase a D800 very soon as a second camera to go with my Nikon FX lenses.

However, I'm wondering if anyone knows if there will be a replacement model (e.g., D810) in the near future. Thanks in advance for your help!

MVCAD600

Thanks everyone for your replies! The D610 came out less than 12 months form when I bought a D600, so I was just wondering what the rumor mill was like on the D800. There was very little change on the D610 though.

Rick M

I think Nikon and consumers are pretty satisfied with the D800/800E, not much to improve upon since it was not handicapped to start out. I think it will have a longer life than lesser models.

riverside

The D600 had serious problems and I view the D610 as a necessary reputation fix, nothing else. For DSLR, advanced enthusiast (DX) and pro (FX) aren't experiencing significant market expansion. Attempts at recapturing P&S market share lost to smart phones has to be the primary strategic concern of consumer camera companies. Canon and Nikon are facing that same dilemma (Oly abandoned the DSLR market) so we'll have to see if an upgrade at upper tier levels offers any desirable improvement over present offerings. Does the average purchaser of a D800 need more pixels, focal points, etc.?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Does the average purchaser of a D800 need more pixels, focal points, etc.?

D800 / D800E is marketed towards landscape, wedding and studio type photography. I am not sure what else you could improve on since it has the most MP DSLR that is not medium format. Cameras do get replaced in time but if you need a camera now, the D800 offers plenty of features and great performance. I really couldn't ask for anything more with my D800E except maybe just to lower their price.

Geoffc

The only thing that I can think of is higher frames per second, but personally it's not an issue for me. More pixels would be a negative to me as the files are plenty big enough anyway.

The thing that would catch my eye is ISO performance. If a camera came out that produced the same noise at ISO 25000 as my D800 does at 1600 that would be a reason to consider an upgrade.

pedroj

The only thing that I can think of is higher frames per second, but personally it's not an issue for me. More pixels would be a negative to me as the files are plenty big enough anyway.

The thing that would catch my eye is ISO performance. If a camera came out that produced the same noise at ISO 25000 as my D800 does at 1600 that would be a reason to consider an upgrade.

Wont happen in a hurry I wouldn't think....

Sambr

Not happening for at least 2 more years. Just buy one now and enjoy it. People that ask this silly question never will buy one ever they just like to talk about it.

MVCAD600

Thanks again for everyone's comments. Whenever the D800 is replaced, I'm sure Nikon will target some of the advantages of the Canon 5d Mark III, such as higher ISO, fps, and AF points. Regardless, I am placing an order a D800 today.

BackdoorArts

At 36MP's and the option of anti-aliasing filters or not, with no outstanding, uncorrected technical issues, I think you have your top of the line Nikon Pro-sumer FX body for at least another year. The "old style" FX body being announced any nanosecond now, with the D4 sensor and FM2 (or other old film 'F' style body) will hold the full frame crowd until then. All things considered, a still-only (no video) D4-ish body with fewer bells and whistles should be enough to keep those who are looking for something more than the D600/D610 happy for a while.

pullmyfinger

The price on the D800 in the camera stores in Iwakuni have dropped down to 230,000 Yen ($2,300 USD).

The same thing happened to the D7000, before the D7100 came out, and much like the D600 has done.

I asked the guy in the shop about a D810 coming out when I asked about the price drop of the D800....he just laughed, but didn't provide an answer.

I realize that information doesn't mean anything.
Just saying. :)

I'll probably wait for the next model to be released.....and remain happy with my D700.

Cheers,
Mitch

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I don't think Nikon really has a reason to replace the D800 this soon like they did with the D600. It came out in May of 2012. If you look at the time between releases of the D700 (July 2008) and D800 they're almost 4 years apart. The D7000 (Oct 2010) and D7100 (March 2013) they are 2.5 years apart. If anything professional bodies are farther apart between releases.

Although putting a 1 (or 's' after all the numbers in the past) after the first number of the model series is more of an update than something completely new. I don't think the D800 will get an update at all. We can probably expect a D900 in 3 more years, and probably a D300 (D400) update sooner than later if Nikon decides there is even a market for it.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I say we get an updated D800 within a yr :p thats my guess, but do I care NO my D800e does well and so does my D600. :)

After using a friends D800 recently and have been editing the files, I can actually see the difference between the D800E vs D800 files. Less acuity on the D800 files which is what I miss the most. I guess once you get used to the files, other RAW files don't feel as satisfying as the D800E. :cool: