Camera size

Geoffc

Often people comment on the size of some DSLR bodies such as the D7100 or D600 and recommend a grip to resolve the problem, if it presents one.

I then go and look at my old Pentax ME Super and Nikon 601 and the are small by comparison. How did people manage to hold these older film cameras?

Kevin H

Ever heard of Penis envy they all want to look like they own a D4 :rolleyes: yes some need the extra battery capacity and yes some have big hands

Bill16

I have small hands, but I got my battery grip for the extra battery capacity. Though I do admit I'd love to own a D4! Lol :D

I have big hands and did have a D3100 and now have the D 5100 and have not problem holding either one of them. They are rather comfortable. I do have to say as I get older thought I like the lighter weight of some of the newer cameras

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

dmc

I have big hands and did have a D3100 and now have the D 5100 and have not problem holding either one of them. They are rather comfortable. I do have to say as I get older thought I like the lighter weight of some of the newer cameras Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I agree Don. But I must say, some of these cameras are getting heavy. My FM2n doesn't weigh half what a new D7100 weighs. Mind you, the D3200 is close. I do prefer it.

Krs_2007

I prefer the grip for multiple reasons. Battery capacity and being able to use AA's if I need to and I have already had to do that on two occasions. I also prefer the feel with the grip, it just feels better than the camera without out it.

Horoscope Fish

I hate battery grips, generally speaking. I find them bulky, they throw off the balance when my camera is hanging on my sling strap and a grip makes it just that much harder to fit my camera in my bag. That, and if I think I'm going to need extra battery life I take a spare battery. It takes what, two, seconds to swap them out? Not too mention a spare fits in my pocket. I'm pretty convinced most people have battery grips for "bling factor".

Brandonberg

The additional shutter button for portrait work is handy. I usually find myself trying to feel for a missing button when I take the grip off now and then.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Bill16

I never considered that my battery grip as bling!lol I just thought I was lazy and I wouldn't have to change batteries out so often! Lol :D But darn, now I have to worry if it goes well with my cowboy hat and cowboy boots! Lol ;)

Krs_2007

I hate battery grips, generally speaking. I find them bulky, they throw off the balance when my camera is hanging on my sling strap and a grip makes it just that much harder to fit my camera in my bag. That, and if I think I'm going to need extra battery life I take a spare battery. It takes what, two, seconds to swap them out? Not too mention a spare fits in my pocket. I'm pretty convinced most people have battery grips for "bling factor".

Both times I had used up both batteries and had to rely on the AA's

Grip envy

Nathan Lanni

Often people comment on the size of some DSLR bodies such as the D7100 or D600 and recommend a grip to resolve the problem, if it presents one.

I then go and look at my old Pentax ME Super and Nikon 601 and the are small by comparison. How did people manage to hold these older film cameras?

Note the attached 'tube vid and fast forward to mark 9:28 where professional photographer Mike Drew and Chris Niccolls are discussing the feel of the Canon 5D MIII vs the Nikon D800. At about mark 9:48 Chris Niccolls jokingly says he has "tiny girl like hands which are fantastic for . . . I don't know . . . picking locks and knitting . . . embroidery. . .” so the D800 feels great to him, whereas Mike Drew has larger hands and says the Canon 5D MIII feels great to him.

After owning a D7100 about 9 months (and dropping it at a cost of over $300 for repair), and then holding a Canon 5D MIII, I have to agree with Mike Drew. With my polar bear hands the Canon 5D MIII gives me greater confidence then my d7100. I even considered selling it to buy a 5D MIII, but after comparing the brands IMHO Nikon has more pluses going for it. My solution for the time being was to buy a grip.

I've been told the D800 hand hold position is slightly larger. Maybe like Chris Niccolls, your hands are smaller. There's no way for me to know your situation but these could be reasons why it's difficult for you to grasp how others may feel about the D7100 grip.

Last edited:

fotojack

The reason I put grips on all three of my cameras is because it gives them a certain heft, and in turn, gives them a better balanced feel (to me). I'm not a bling guy by any stretch of the imagination. You should see how I dress! lol My wife calls my style "the latest in vagabond-wear". :) I have a basically medium sized hand, so without the grip, the camera feels small and hard to hold. With the grip, it feels just right. All the buttons fall into place just beautifully.

snaphappy

I have small hands and a wuss I guess because I couldn't imagine adding more weight to my camera! Notice my name and yet when on a 4 day trip (without power source) where I did many many many long exposures and still I had a bit of power in my spare battery at the end of 4days. I do like bling but don't see a battery grip in my future :)

singlerosa_RIP

My first "real" camera was a Nikon FM back in the 70s and, paired with a nifty fifty, it was a small kit. I added a 200mm Sigma tele and always wanted the motor drive but couldn't justify the funds. These days, both my bodies have grips, manily to balance out big lenses and to provide controls for portrait shooting. The extra battery life and fps are a bonus.

Geoffc

I do have a grip for my D800, but I've used it about twice in ten months. I'm glad I bought the Meike. To me it makes the camera cumbersome, although for portrait work I can see the benefit of the button placement.

I guess my main point was that most of our DSLRs are bigger than film cameras, but it didn't seem to be a problem back then.

With regards to battery life, I just put the spare in my pocket and risk the 20 second changeover time. I rarely flatten a battery whilst I'm out anyway.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I do have a grip for my D800, but I've used it about twice in ten months. I'm glad I bought the Meike. To me it makes the camera cumbersome, although for portrait work I can see the benefit of the button placement.

I guess my main point was that most of our DSLRs are bigger than film cameras, but it didn't seem to be a problem back then.

With regards to battery life, I just put the spare in my pocket and risk the 20 second changeover time. I rarely flatten a battery whilst I'm out anyway.

Hi Geoff. I have the OEM Nikon grip for my D800 since it provides better balance especially when using larger and heavier lenses.

However, since I have been shooting with my camera on a tripod most of the time, the camera without the battery grip attached feels more secure when mounted on the tripod. I have a L bracket which works better without the grip attached.

Geoffc

Hi Geoff. I have the OEM Nikon grip for my D800 since it provides better balance especially when using larger and heavier lenses.

However, since I have been shooting with my camera on a tripod most of the time, the camera without the battery grip attached feels more secure when mounted on the tripod. I have a L bracket which works better without the grip attached.

Glen, on a tripod I tend to use a cable release and as you say it's more solid without a grip. In reality it's all personal preference, but the point I was making is that our DSLRs tend to be bigger than film equivalents but they are still too small for some users.

I have a D2H (selling it soon) and just got my D7100 yesterday- and one of the main reasons I switched to a newer body is because the weight of the D2H was so heavy, it's at least like 4 or 5 pounds maybe with a 70-300mm lens. I have small hands and this one fits so much better and I can hold it longer etc, plus I have back problems so the weight of the D2H made that worse. Don't have a battery grip for the D7100, don't know if I'll get one, cause I like the weight it is now- and I have 2 batteries for it, so I always have a spare charged one anyways.

Last edited: