Questions about the D7100...

rocky89

1. Is best to shoot RAW, or one of the other 2 options, like (RAW) + JPEG fine?

2. Which ISO settings work best from Auto to Hi 0.3?

3. Is it best to set the High ISO NR option as normal or high?

Thank you.

FastGlass

Shooting in Raw or JPEG really depends on what you do with the photos after you take them. If just sending them off to facebook, or e-mailing them to freinds and family then shoot JPEG. If importing them to lightroom or photoshop to play around with whitebalance, exposure, color, or eliminating unwanted objects in the scene than RAW. Me, I always shoot in RAW. I can then always convert to JPEG if I need to but can't the other way around.
Choosing the lowest ISO while still allowing a correct exposure is always the best option. Unless you want the grainy look for artistic reasons. You can always choose auto and set the high limit so the camera can't choose a too high option.
As far as ISO noise reduction. I would leave it at normal. Choosing a high setting would reduce the sharpness of the photo. If you limit the camera from choosing a high ISO you really don't need the NR side of the coin.

RAW
You have a D7100 why would you ever shoot in AUTO.
Decide what conditions you are shooting in and THEN decide what ISO you need. You want to keep it a low as possible but still shoot a fast enough shutter speed to not get blur.

Horoscope Fish

1. Is best to shoot RAW, or one of the other 2 options, like (RAW) + JPEG fine?
It depends... Shooting RAW assumes you are going to be doing post-processing. It does unleash the full power of your camera but it requires extra time, effort and of course, software; like Adobe Photoshop or Elements or Light Room. There are other options but those are the big ones that most people use.

2. Which ISO settings work best from Auto to Hi 0.3?
Generally speaking the lower the ISO the less noise but ISO is, for me, the least of my worries when it comes to the Exposure Triangle. I use Auto ISO and just focus on other issues. When, and if, noise crops up in my photo's I'll deal with it in Photoshop.

3. Is it best to set the High ISO NR option as normal or high?
I set to "High". I don't see any reason not too but if someone comes along with conclusive evidence why that's not a good idea I'm open to changing my opinion on that. I don't shoot at extremely high ISO much at all so this is not something I have a great deal of experience with.

FastGlass

Choosing a higher noise reduction will reduce the sharpness of the photo. Also, choosing to do noise reduction in camera is irriversable. Always better to do it in post using software that better handles it.

dramtastic

Well can't see why this would be any different to my D7K. I shoot raw because of the possibilities it offers me in post. I set ISO Auto in the menu. I also set the ISO with the command dial, it will shoot that unless the camera decides it knows better and will then revert to auto and select a different ISO. I normally up the ISO with the command dial for moving objects such as Birds in Flight, usually double the focal length or higher in low light, so often 800 or more. I set ISO noise reduction to normal. I use Aperture priority for everything. The 2 things I change the most are aperture and minimum shutter speed(in menu).

egosbar

RAW
You have a D7100 why would you ever shoot in AUTO.
Decide what conditions you are shooting in and THEN decide what ISO you need. You want to keep it a low as possible but still shoot a fast enough shutter speed to not get blur.

i shoot with easy iso on , this allows the rear scroll wheel to control iso without pushing the button , choose aperture or shutter speed you want and adjust iso up from 100 without having too fiddle around looking or feeling for the button to a level where the shutter speed is equal or better then the focal length , i try not too hand hold anything under 1/60 with the vr lenses and 300 with the 200 with the 300 zoom out , but ive only had the camera two days so im still learning any other suggestions id be happy to hear or am i on the right track?