Finally, I'm in!

TrueIntuition

Just got the D5200 and I'm very happy with it.
However, I've noticed what I think is an issue and I wanted to know if anyone might have this same issue.
The pop up flash.
If point the camera up and push on the flash it will pop up and not lock back in place unless I point the camera down.
I'ts like the little locking lever might not being staying forward.
Is this normal ??
Other than that I love the camera !!!
Thanks for any input you might have.

WayneF

Just got the D5200 and I'm very happy with it.
However, I've noticed what I think is an issue and I wanted to know if anyone might have this same issue.
The pop up flash.
If point the camera up and push on the flash it will pop up and not lock back in place unless I point the camera down.
I'ts like the little locking lever might not being staying forward.
Is this normal ??
Other than that I love the camera !!!
Thanks for any input you might have.

In an Auto mode (Green Auto, or including Scenic modes), the flash pops open any time the camera thinks more light will help. Possibly why it will not latch again. The dial should also have a "no flash" setting there too.

Try it in camera A, S, M or P modes, when the flash opens manually, only when you judge that you want flash. Should latch closed again there.

TrueIntuition

Hi and thanks Wayne for the reply.
I should have mentioned that I am in M mode. I have a feeling the little locking lever should be spring loaded and maybe it's not. It's not too big of an issue, buy I may stop by a camera shop this week just to be sure. Since it's new I have a Nikon warranty working for me.
​Pete

Horoscope Fish

If I'm reading your first post correctly, the flash popping up has nothing to do with you taking a shot; you're saying the flash pops up if you press on it and then will not close properly unless you hold the camera facing downward and close it that way.

In short, that's not right. The flash should *not* pop up just because you applied some gentle pressure. It should snap shut, and stay shut, unless you're in full Auto and the flash deploys automatically, or you purposefully deploy it by pressing the button.

nickt

I can't think of any setting that would cause that, but I'm not sure about all scene modes. Like Wayne said, try in a less automatic mode. The mechanism is triggered electronically, either by camera request or you using the button. If you turn the camera off, does it still refuse to lock down when tilted up? That would be a problem for sure. Maybe while the flash is up, you can inspect underneath and get lucky to find a piece of stray packing material. There is a little hook latch thing under there, it should have some spring return to it when the flash is up. You should be able to gently push it and it should return on its own. I'm not sure on your camera if you would push it forward or back, but I think from your description that you get the idea of what you are looking for. It should definitely have some spring to it. I'm assuming your camera is similar to my d3100 and d7000. Both have a visible hook under the flash.

Last edited by a moderator: