Document Photography

goldenhammerman

Being a bit of a tightwad, and an inexperienced photographer at that, I own a Coolpix 5400 from which I cannot be seperated.
I have the opportunity to have on loan a mutitude of Ledgers and Documents to copy and add to existing archive material on my computer.
I foresee the need of a Tripod and a stand (a bit like a music stand) to place the subject matter but I am concerned as to the need of artificial light or daylight and the best setting with this camera to capture and often to enhace the contrast between yellowing paper and fading print / text / writing.
Flash would not be appropriate but what other settings would be appropriate (without the constant need for alteration to them) and how near should one be to the subject matter - will manual or digital zoom offer an alternatiove to an otherwise fixed distance between lens and subject.
The Manual on this Nikon Camera doesn't actually refer to "Document Copy" or similar term and so I seek help (IN SIMPLE ENGLISH PLEASE) from you, The Knowledgeable
Many thanks
GHM.

Fred Kingston

You can buy small photographic style flood/spot lights with the curly cue fluorescent bulbs that are cooler balanced for 5500 Kelvin temps...

goldenhammerman

The benefit of this being ? Is artificial light necessary / essential if photographed in attic environment with skkylights for example?
Please elaborate on phrase ' ..balanced for 5500 kelvin temps...' the sentence didn't seem to end!

Fred Kingston

Light is described as having a temperature... warm glow is not what you want... Daylight is 5500K Your camera adjusts color based on a White balance scale... Your skylights would be fine, on a clear sunny day... How many clear sunny days do you get in the UK??? ;)

goldenhammerman

That's a slightly embarrassing question - put it this way - we have a varied selection of clouds usually available.
Re the serious point - are you saying the addition of the right artificial light is essential? -what should the camera settings be?.

Fred Kingston

Basically, with document photography, you want to eliminate as many variables as possible.. You want to turn a page and click the shutter... Controlling the light eliminates making continuous camera adjustments as a result of changing light (those damn clouds keeping moving about) ;)

carguy

That's a slightly embarrassing question - put it this way - we have a varied selection of clouds usually available.
Re the serious point - are you saying the addition of the right artificial light is essential? -what should the camera settings be?.

I'd start with the second link I posted and give it a go :)