Talkin' about Resolution

reverb

Some helpful advice please (since you've always been helpful in the past, thank you). Currently using a D3200, and very happy with it. But starting to grow out of it - not yet, but starting. Likely to look in next six months or so for an upgrade.

Now bought into Nikon, and intend to stay. Cannot afford to go for a new camera, so second-hand or refurb D7000 looks like an option (maybe even a new D7000 is prices continue to drop).

My question......I have 24 megapixels with the D3200, but D7000 is 'only' 16 megapixels. What real difference does this make? I am not a professional, and generally unlikely to be producing many poster size prints. So will I notice the difference? and, if so, is it very much?

many thanks

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Some helpful advice please (since you've always been helpful in the past, thank you). Currently using a D3200, and very happy with it. But starting to grow out of it - not yet, but starting. Likely to look in next six months or so for an upgrade.

Now bought into Nikon, and intend to stay. Cannot afford to go for a new camera, so second-hand or refurb D7000 looks like an option (maybe even a new D7000 is prices continue to drop).

My question......I have 24 megapixels with the D3200, but D7000 is 'only' 16 megapixels. What real difference does this make? I am not a professional, and generally unlikely to be producing many poster size prints. So will I notice the difference? and, if so, is it very much?

many thanks

First I have to admit that I've never held a D3200 in my hands or have used one. I own a D7000 and I really like the handling. It's got the two adjustment wheels that allows me to change settings on the fly without taking my eyes away from the viewfinder (no need to go through menus so often). There is also the bracketing option that the D3200 does not have. I think it's mostly the handling that will be different, the image quality is probably very similar but I can't answer that for sure.

WayneF

First I have to admit that I've never held a D3200 in my hands or have used one. I own a D7000 and I really like the handling. It's got the two adjustment wheels that allows me to change settings on the fly without taking my eyes away from the viewfinder (no need to go through menus so often). There is also the bracketing option that the D3200 does not have. I think it's mostly the handling that will be different, the image quality is probably very similar but I can't answer that for sure.

Gee, D7000 has more than that. :) Big stuff. It has the Commander, and FV Lock and Auto FP flash, and interval timer, and mirror lockup. All good stuff.

16 mp will not allow as much cropping as 24, but 16 is still quite a lot.

Last edited:

Fred Kingston

If you're just talking about "resolution"...the D3200 actually scores better than the D7000 on the DXO comparison site... The D7000 scores just imperceptibly better in ISO sensitivity...

pedroj

many thanks

I have printed 30x20 inches with the D300 12. MP files so I don't see a problem...In the six months you may change your mind and get the D7100

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The more megapixels will only allow you to print larger. And since this is not something you said you cared about, I'd go for the handling and the options instead of the bigger file alone. Of course, opinions are just that, opinions.

Mfrankfort

Just silly numbers. You want something with image quality. I'm willing to bet that the 42MP Nokia camera doesn't take as good of pictures as the 5,000 16MP D4.

reverb

The more megapixels will only allow you to print larger. And since this is not something you said you cared about, I'd go for the handling and the options instead of the bigger file alone. Of course, opinions are just that, opinions.

thanks. Opinions are one thing, but really welcoming the comments on whether the megapixels are something I should just ignore, and focus on the other aspects. Would hate to find everything was so much better - except picture quality!

Fred Kingston

To be honest, I think the resolution numbers are close enough between those two cameras that there are significant other reasons/differences in features to pick the D7000... Of course, money could be a significant factor also... The D7000/7100 is a big step up in feature set... Access to older motor-less lenses, and Nikon's CLS are significant...

pedroj

To be honest, I think the resolution numbers are close enough between those two cameras that there are significant other reasons/differences in features to pick the D7000... Of course, money could be a significant factor also... The D7000/7100 is a big step up in feature set... Access to older motor-less lenses, and Nikon's CLS are significant...

Very good points in my opinion...

Geoffc

If you crop a lot the pixels are useful. Also noise reduces if you down sample. Having said all that, the features and controls of the 7000 probably make it a superior tool over all. I have a d300 which is a great tool and only has 12 mp which is not really an issue.

reverb

We'll see what I can afford when the time comes. But really good to read that, generally, a drop from 24 to 16 shouldn't make too much difference. As for cropping - perhaps this is the kick I need to concentrate on getting the picture right in the first place!

Thanks for the help, all of you. Welcome any further points.

reverb

I have printed 30x20 inches with the D300 12. MP files so I don't see a problem...In the six months you may change your mind and get the D7100

and yes, proabably be buying the D7100, prices tumble when the D7200 appears on the market........