D7000 Delayed fire

Toddw

I'm getting used to my D7000 coming from a D5000 and have encountered a problem. I have a SB700 that I used with my old camera and works great now too but when I have it on my camera it slows the shutter down. I'm sure it's a setting but the camera takes 3 seconds or so to fire. Without the flash on its instant and fast on multiple shots but with my he flash on it delays making it hard to get that sudden shot. AF doesn't matter, AF-S, single point focus or dynamic, AF assist light on or off, AF-C priority focus, AF-C priority release. What am I missing? Is this typical? Thanks

WayneF

That is not typical, it should be immediate.

All I can think of is that if you have Red Eye Reduction on (it is like a flash sync, D7000 manual page 144), then there is about a one second delay while it flashes to reduce the subjects pupil.

There are ifs and buts, page 82 says three seconds.

Turn Red Eye Reduction off.

Toddw

That was it. I read up a little More and now I see the different flash modes. I should have read up before I posted. Thanks for the quick reply. Now it fires right away. I set it to front curtain sync.

Last edited by a moderator:

nikon.norm

Have you got the Speedlight set to TTL seting ? On TTL when you press the shutter button the Speedlight send out a pre flash to evaluate the light power reqirements and this will take a couple of seconds before the shutter will open.

WayneF

Have you got the Speedlight set to TTL seting ? On TTL when you press the shutter button the Speedlight send out a pre flash to evaluate the light power reqirements and this will take a couple of seconds before the shutter will open.

Preflash yes, but it is not seconds at all. Just milliseconds. Hot shoe preflash is too fast to give most people time to blink in the picture, but a few people can.

Even Commander Remote mode with a couple of TTL flashes might be 100 milliseconds? Just guessing at numbers, but we can just barely get a glimpse of the remote preflashes in the viewfinder before the mirror comes up. It is not seconds.

Last edited: