Nifty-fifty won't lock on any aperture but 22 (50MM 1:1:8 D)

JumpinCatfish

Hey, folks-

Got me a Nifty-Fifty (AF Nikkor 50MM 1:1:8 D) lens. Great for shooting rock concerts in low light, yeahhh!

However-

It won't let me lock into any lens opening except F22, and if I adjust any lower, to 16, 11, 8, 5.6, etc, my D300 gives me an error signal of
EE and won't take the photo.

Looked up in instructions, did the Google thing, maybe you guys can help. Photos (taken with dusty iPhone, sorry) below, and thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Nifty3.jpg
    Nifty3.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 126
  • Nifty2.jpg
    Nifty2.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 132
  • Nifty1.jpg
    Nifty1.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 140

MrF

Sounds like it's working exactly like it's supposed to. Set it to f/22, and your D300 will control the aperture with the coupling lever in the lens mount, the same way it does with a G lens. You don't need to touch the aperture ring on the lens at all, hence why it has that handy locking tab at f/22.

WayneF

"Locking" at f/22 is siimply necessary calibration to the camera metering system, and does not affect the aperture you choose to use. It is the necessary instruction. Just do it. :)

r0adki1l

If you want to use the ring you can change it in settings lookup aperture ring in your manual it's under f6 "change command dial" on the d7000