Wedding!?

Pretzel

So... I've been in this photography "hobby" for about 9 months, had a couple of classes, and one of the guys who I look up to as the "best" photographer I've ever come across messaged me today and asked to "hire" me as a "second perspective" shooter during the wedding ceremony for one of his best friends.

1) I'm floored... I've only got my D3100, w/ no external flash and a couple of slow lenses (kit 18-55VR and 70-300VR), plus my trusty little tripod, so I'm stopping by Best Buy and picking up the nifty 50 1.8g tonight as it's an indoor wedding. Usually I order online, but they price matched my lowest online price, and all I'm out is the tax I'd normally save by ordering online.

2) I'm NERVOUS... He's not paying me a lot (tried to talk him out of paying me at all), but I don't want to let him or his friend down. He's seen my work though, and seems to have faith in me, so with what I've got, I can get a few good pics for him, right?

My question is this: Has anyone ever shot a wedding "second perspective"? He's the main shooter, so I'm just supposed to stay out of the way but shoot at the same time from a different POV. Any tips? Successes?

Terrified and elated all at the same time, as this will help garner me much needed experience without being the "front line" responsible for it all guy. WISH ME LUCK!?

Browncoat

Congratulations! Yes, I've been a second shooter a number of times. In fact, back when I first starting doing "serious" photography, I never had any intention of earning anything from it. It was just a hobby and I never thought of it as anything more than that. This might be your intro to bigger and better things.

A few things to consider:

1) Will you be able to keep the images you take, or will you have to hand them over to him? This is a very important one, and I've seen this go both ways. Most likely, he will let you keep your files but request copies of them for himself. That's the most ideal situation. If you've got some good shots that he wants to process and include in the package he gives to the client, then he should pay you for what he keeps.

If he wants you to give him all your files and not let you have any, you should walk away. The "experience" is nice, but the photos you take are far more valuable than the experience.

2) Don't be afraid to accept payment. You're doing a job and you should be paid.

3) Don't be this guy's shadow all day. Your focus should be candid photography. If you just shadow him, all you're going to end up with are a bunch of shots where people are looking at someone else's camera, and those have zero value to you or him.

This is one of the best gigs around to be perfectly honest. Yes, you're going to be stressed out, but really, you have total freedom to get shots without feeling all the wedding day pressure. The best advice I can give you is to always know where the bride is. This is her day above all else, and candid shots of her and how people react to her are a gold mine. The best shot you can put yourself in position to get is the groom's face the first time he sees her.

Focus on the little things. While the main photographer is getting the money shots, you focus on what's happening nearby.

Last edited:

Pretzel

Congratulations! Yes, I've been a second shooter a number of times. In fact, back when I first starting doing "serious" photography, I never had any intention of earning anything from it. It was just a hobby and I never thought of it as anything more than that. This might be your intro to bigger and better things.

Thanks! I've always had the intention of turning this into a "side venture" to make a little bit of cash. DREAMS of it becoming self-supporting, but I'm also realistic about the market. This will provide valuable experience for future endeavors!

1) Will you be able to keep the images you take, or will you have to hand them over to him? This is a very important one, and I've seen this go both ways. Most likely, he will let you keep your files but request copies of them for himself. That's the most ideal situation. If you've got some good shots that he wants to process and include in the package he gives to the client, then he should pay you for what he keeps.

If he wants you to give him all your files and not let you have any, you should walk away. The "experience" is nice, but the photos you take are far more valuable than the experience.

He's really not that kind of guy. All he really needs me for is the candid view during the ceremony itself, but knowing I'd like the opportunity to learn and get a few shots for my portfolio, he's opened it up to allow me to observe and shoot through the planned group photos, etc. I'll be allowed to present a separate release to keep/publish all of my own photos in order to help promote my own skills, but he'll also have full access to edit and present the photos as part of his package.

2) Don't be afraid to accept payment. You're doing a job and you should be paid.

Trust me when I say this guy has been completely selfless the entire time I've known him. He's one of the rare COMPLETELY GENUINE folks left out there. He's shooting the wedding for one of his better friends, and the only thing he's charging them is his traveling expenses, so in reality, he's taking a loss to pay me anything at all. For the experience, the mentoring, and the friendship, I look at it as more like a chance to take a class/workshop without having to pay the tuition. Unfortunately, selfless guy that he is, he's still insisting on paying me, so I made sure he's keeping it at a bare minimum. Thinking, though, that this will give me the chance to declare my business a bit early and perhaps write off my equipment expenses this year as a loss, since we will have a formal contract and all... :cool: It puts me on a bit faster pace than the "scared path" I was on, about 6 months ahead of plan, but if I do well this weekend, I'll be advertising to get a few "on site" portrait sessions this fall as well.

3) Don't be this guy's shadow all day. Your focus should be candid photography. If you just shadow him, all you're going to end up with are a bunch of shots where people are looking at someone else's camera, and those have zero value to you or him.

GREAT advice! He already made it clear that he's looking for the candid stuff that he won't have time for. The "chuckle" pictures while he's nabbing the "glory" shots. I remember my wedding, near 22 years ago, and those were my faves... the shenanigans behind the scenes, etc., so I know what I'm after. ;) Hoping to get some shots of the bridal party "staging" before their entrance, perhaps Mom's tears of joy, Dad and groom having a chat, car "decoration", etc. He said he chose me because I'm good with folks, not afraid to politely mix and crack a joke or two, so I'd be free to ask for a pose or two to share some of the hidden fun that goes on at these things.

This is one of the best gigs around to be perfectly honest. Yes, you're going to be stressed out, but really, you have total freedom to get shots without feeling all the wedding day pressure. The best advice I can give you is to always know where the bride is. This is her day above all else, and candid shots of her and how people react to her are a gold mine. The best shot you can put yourself in position to get is the groom's face the first time he sees her.

Focus on the little things. While the main photographer is getting the money shots, you focus on what's happening nearby.

Can't agree with ya more, man. Thanks for the tips! Hopefully, I'll have some worth a laugh, a sigh, and a lot of smiles! I'll try to share a couple once it's all done!!

Last edited:

Pretzel

First goal is to get paid enough to cover the new lens.

Relax you'll be fine on the day. Let the bride worry. :)

Nah, first goal is to get enough good shots so I'm not a waste of time, and have fun absorbing all the practical knowledge from the experience. I was gonna buy the lens in a few more weeks anyway... LOL

THEN, with the experience... start scheduling shoots that will pay for a SB-700 or three, or perhaps a body upgrade, etc! :D :D :D

wud

Yay! So happy for you! I am sure you will do really good :) It sounds like you already got a plan and thats really good - you know a lot of the shots you wanna go for, and of course more will come by itself, once your at the wedding.

Will look forward to seeing pictures from the wedding!

Mo'Men

being the second shooter is most fun than to be the first guy it allows you to have great pic. in the wedding natural reflexes of people .. dude you're a photographer you are an artist have fun .. good luck

Moab Man

I would suggest you see if there is a local rental place and rent a 35mm, 50mm, and a good flash with diffuser. Gives you plenty of tools at your disposal and then you will experience to decide what you might want to permanently to your arsenal.

fotojack

Whatever you do, don't use the built in flash on your camera! Buy or rent an SB-700, and yes, put the diffuser on it so you don't blind anyone! :)

Pretzel

Whatever you do, don't use the built in flash on your camera! Buy or rent an SB-700, and yes, put the diffuser on it so you don't blind anyone! :)

Already shot "flashless", but it was an older church remodeled into better lighting, and quite a few of the shots came out nicely. Also had the chance to catch shots of folks outside coming in, particularly the flower girl and the dual ring bearers.

Can't post shots until he presents his package to the bride and groom, but I'll get a few on here eventually.

Some of my faves were of 1) Bride and Dad, her with a funny face while he's cracking a straight-faced joke, 2) Bride and Flower Girl having fun while they get set-up for the planned photo, 3) Talking one of the ring bearers into showing me his tough side and "mean mugging" for a photo, 4) Dad himself taking smart phone photos. Quite a few more, all candid... FUN!

Also got a few of the main photog in action during the planned pics. I know I like quality pics of my taking pics on occasion, so grabbed some for him as a bonus. Plus, as a family friend, they might like a couple over his shoulder (from a distance) with them in focus and him a blur of bokeh, and vice versa. :)

skene

Does your friend also shoot Nikon? If he does what you should be doing is trying to borrow any lower light lenses that he may have available. Also see if he has any spare flashes if possible. This will allow you to light up your area and just bounce off the walls or ceilings.
The job you have will be fairly easy if all you need to do is the candid walk around shots. Don't be afraid, and make people feel comfortable when you are walking around and taking pictures. Don't forget most importantly to try and smile as much as possible.