Bought first DSLR Camera

cadomniel

I just bought my first DSLR camera from Adorama. I am getting a Nikon D5100 with the 18mm-55mm kit lens, a 55mm-300mm, 35mm/1.8G, and a Tokina 11-16mm ultrawide. I also bought a speedlight 400 flash so think I should have all my bases covered for along time!
Anyway I have been wanting to get into this hobby for 4 or 5 years, ever since DSLR became affordable for the average folk and even before that I was interested in photography. I just have always had so many other hobbies tying up my time and money but I have dedicated a bit of time and money to learn this art and science of photogaphy!

Mostly I'll just be using it to take photos around town, on hikes, on vacation etc but photography has always interested me because it is both technical and creative.

I live in Yellowknife Canada and want to use my new camera to take photos of the aurora borealis. Tried with my Sony Cybershot but just doesn't work :p

I can't wait to get my new camera and start playing around with it and practicing photography

Scott Murray

Welcome to the forum mate, mmmm taking photos of the Aurora hey :) you will have to start getting used to the M mode in that case. Looking forward to seeing your photos. Feel free to ask anything anytime as there are some knowledgable people here that are willing to help.

fotojack

Welcome to Nikonites. Nice choice on your camera. :) WE're here to help you in any way we can.....as long as you honestly try and help yourself, too....by reading the manual your camera came with. :) Oh, and if you shoot in Auto, you just bought yourself an expensive Point & Shoot (P&S) camera. :)
So welcome aboard...we're happy to have you with us, and enjoy the ride. It gets better! :)

Moab Man

Since this is your first DSLR let me be the first to tell you there is nothing wrong with the camera as to why your pictures don't look that good. There is a huge learning curve and the camera out of the box is turned down in its quality - it's set to normal quality and not fine.

The 35mm will shoot incredibly sharp.

The Tokina will be fun to shoot, but uses a different set of skills and composition.

The only thing I see missing is photo editing software.

​Welcome.

Last edited:

jkinzel

Welcome. I'm also new to Nikonites having only been a member for about 6 weeks. It's a great place to learn and get inspired.

Along with the mentioned editing software you will also need a good tri-pod for shooting the aurora borealis