Liquid Play

ShallowShannon

After reading the thread about water drops I thought I'd give it a go. So armed with my D3100 with the 18-55 attached and stabilized by my new to me Manfroto I set up on the back porch. I ended up using a small shallow plate and a Ziploc baggy with a pin hole in it. After many photos and beers I had almost 200 decent shots. these represent
what the majority looked like. I played with WB a lot in PP. Next time I try it I'll have to come with some sort of light box in order to get a better back ground.
If anyone would like to post some of what you've been able to capture please feel free.

8 by Heard Photography, on Flickr

7 by Heard Photography, on Flickr

6 by Heard Photography, on Flickr

5 by Heard Photography, on Flickr

4 by Heard Photography, on Flickr

WhiteLight

Very cool!
Maybe you could've placed the camera a little higher & at an angle so you could see some more of the action for some of the shots :)

ShallowShannon

Thanks WhiteLight and Pat,
I did get some at a couple different angles they just didn't come out as well. I think next time I'll use a bigger pan or something so that the edges aren't in view. I also want to make one of those homemade light boxes someone posted about on here. Be handy if I ever get a macro lens. There are many things I'll do different next time like buy more beer but I had fun doing it and learned a few things in the process.

10 by Heard Photography, on Flickr

11 by Heard Photography, on Flickr

9 by Heard Photography, on Flickr

N_Addy

Nice!

I had to laugh when I read "after many photos and beers I had almost 200 decent shots". It does lose its magic after the first thousand shots or so but you do come up with a few good ones out of that many.

N_Addy

I do agree with others on angling the perspective down a bit to give a better view.

Here's a sample of my efforts.

DSC_0338.jpg

ShallowShannon

Looks great! Throw up your exif data if you don't mind.

I'm gonna try and make it simple for me because I haven't figured out how to copy/past the exif data yet.
All where taken with a shutter speed of 1/200 sec. (because onboard flash was used) and ISO-100.

Photo
#1 f/9
#2 f/5.6
#3 f/18
#4 f/13
#5 f/13
#6 f/13
#7 f/13
#8 f/13
#9 f/5.6
#10 f/5.6
#11 f/5.6

Also all of them are zoomed in at 55.(I think)

Last edited:

Lawrence

Don't do it or you'll be hooked!

But if you do decide to do it you'll get a free "I Need a Life" hat. :D

I feel compelled. I have beer, I have a camera, I have a tripod and I have the information. I have a saucer and water/milk/beer (even). I may even have a jiffy bag or I will go big - wide angle - with a bucket. :very_drunk: