Weather Proofing - Nikon or Pentax

reverb

Good morning all. Welcome all views.

I an a relative newcomer to the DSLR world, but already love my D3200 (with 18-55, 35mm and 55-300mm lenses). I cannot see how I coped with my Compact Canon IXUS for all those years.

However, it's becoming obvious that I really prefer taking outdoor shots. Family candids are fine, but I'm not keen on set portraits, so landscapes, close-up nature, crowd scenes, and family days out are the key need. The D3200 is pretty good for these (in fact, for me, excellent), with the right lens.

But I live in damp, wet UK. And we're heading towards winter which will mean most likely snow ahead. I will want to be out there, in all weathers, finding my subjects. I know this to be the case as I was always out in all weathers without a camera, so will naturally continue.

For this reason, I'm wondering weather to buy a second camera, weather-proof, most likely the Pentax K-30 with kit lens. I doubt I would move over to Pentax fully, as the range of WR lenses is fairly narrow. But it annoys me that I seem to need to buy in to a second system in order to get this added flexibility at low cost, since from my reading, Nikon won't provide this level of protection without a significant financial outlay.

I am also wondering about the AW1, but this is expensive, and would not allow use of current lenses either.

Welcome your thoughts.

reverb

I just bought one of these for my D5100 for an upcoming trip to Borneo. Expecting it to be raining quite a bit there and hopefully this will mean I dont miss out on many photo opportunities. Not used it in anger yet but does fit quite well.
Storm Jacket SLR PRO Medium - Black (SJ-SLR-PMBLK) - Wex Photographic

Looks really interesting, thanks. Does is seem you would have complete control? Or is this going to limit activity? Thoughts on using a zoom inside this tube?

Lee532

Awful phone pics but this is with the 70-300mm zoom fully extended.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380993005.951707.jpg

And then at 70mm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380993035.934651.jpg

And a view from the rear of the camera

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380993073.267907.jpg
Access isn't fantastic but better than the camera left in the bag because it's raining. The underside opens allowing access to operate the zoom or attach camera to a tripod

reverb

wow - many thanks for putting so much effort in for this. Much appreciated. Certainly given me plenty to think on.

reverb

If it's wet and I have to I take a towel...Cheaper then a Pentax...

My first thought completely. But how wet can a non-weather proof camera get. Is the occasional splash OK? Can I accidently drop into snow without too much worry? It's not clear from the manual (and Nikon will of course wish to protect themselves from any complaints). Anyone got experience here?

pedroj

US$849 body-only. To make it fully water-resistant, you have to buy one of Pentax's WR lenses, like the US$530 waterproof lens..

$1379 US.....Nikons D7000 is water resistant and I assume the D7100 is as well which would be a pretty good cheap alternative...

reverb

US$849 body-only. To make it fully water-resistant, you have to buy one of Pentax's WR lenses, like the US$530 waterproof lens..

$1379 US.....Nikons D7000 is water resistant and I assume the D7100 is as well which would be a pretty good cheap alternative...

so are all Nikon DX lenses weather-resistant? I know Pentax sell some that are and some that aren't.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Doesn't the weather sealing help against humidity, too, even if the lens isn't in direct contact with rain or moisture?