Howdy from Wyoming

P.B. Floyd

Howdy fellow Nikonites! Been snooping on this forum for the past couple months while trying to decide which DSLR to buy. Figured I should join after finally deciding on the D600. Thank you to everyone on this forum for all the great insights and examples that helped me decide on this wonderful camera!

Little about myself: I live in southwest Wyoming where I was working for a small newspaper as a pressman and photographer for many years. Unfortunately, the owners decided to shut down the press and sell the paper, leaving me without a full-time job. Luckily for me, between a modest severance package, some wise investments and part-time work, I'm getting by. Hoping that this incredible Nikon camera will also turn out to be a wise investment. I love mountain biking, hiking, skiing, the Colorado Rockies and the Pittsburgh Steelers!

The paper I worked at supplied myself and a couple of the reporters with Nikon D2Hs. Don't remember exactly when we got those, but I think at least 10 years ago. Despite it only having around 4.5 megapixels, the D2H was a great news and sports camera that served our needs well. I've been wanting a full-frame camera for quite some time, and since I'm already familiar with Nikon DSLRs the D600 seemed like the logical choice.

I've had the D600 for almost a month now, and couldn't be more impressed with it and all it's features. So far, I've shot a friend's wedding, some nice fall color nature shots, pet shots (see profile pic), and candid family shots. Amazed with the color and clarity of this camera, vivid and sharp! Having tons of fun with the time lapse feature, and I'm getting quite addicted to the HDR function.

I look forward to being active in this forum, be it sharing work I produce or admiring the many talented photogs that you all are, hope we can all learn and share perspectives in a constructive way.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I'll leave you with an HDR shot I took last week of some local scenery (as per forum rules/guidelines):

DSC_0439web72.jpg

Scott Murray

Hey mate welcome to the forum.
Thank you for a great introduction. Your HDR photo looks great and very oil painting'ish to me (which is a good thing). Wyoming looks like a wonderful place and I am looking forward to seeing more photos from where you live.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Welcome to Nikonites. Wyoming will give you plenty of opportunity to enjoy the D600. I've been skiing 3 times in Jackson and the landscape is just "WOW!", almost unbelievable.

​Enjoy your Nikon!