Nikon photography school/classes

dickelfan

Have any of you ever attended one of these classes? They are coming to Houston in November and was wondering if it was worth taking one of these?

WhiteLight

Nikon usually conducts these classes from time to time.
At least here they do.
I believe they give a coupon for attending these classes with every new camera purchased.
If you are new to photography then its a no brainer. You will learn a lot quickly for sure.
Even the paid ones are not really expensive.. its less than $10 for a one day session

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

Nikon usually conducts these classes from time to time.
At least here they do.
I believe they give a coupon for attending these classes with every new camera purchased.
If you are new to photography then its a no brainer. You will learn a lot quickly for sure.
Even the paid ones are not really expensive.. its less than $10 for a one day session

​$149 a day here

Browncoat

I've attended a few sponsored photography workshops, as well as received a formal education in photography from the Art Institute of Pittsburgh. Here's my take on it:

They're a waste of money.

There are literally thousands of free tutorials, videos, and online seminars available. That said, I can also appreciate the fact that some people simply learn differently than others. Some people just prefer a more formal, classroom-type setting because that structure helps them learn and absorb. I would argue that you would be just as well served by joining a local photography group or photo walk.

The best learning tool, in my opinion, is experimenting. You can read about photography, or you can just do it. Find photos that you like and try to reproduce them. That's the best way to learn.

WhiteLight

You've hit the nail on the head and cracked it too..
Maybe that degree at the photo school helped after all ;)
Anyways I've always wanted to join some class or group but could not do it for some reason or other.
Am glad I didn't cos I've seen people who have attend some courses taking everything they've been told as gods word and won't try anything different..
Learnt everything of the little I know by myself.. Google is probably my best friend.. happy with what I've learned so far

WhiteLight

​$149 a day here

Wow! That's a lot..
If it were anymore you could probably take a holiday to India and attend the photo shop at almost free prices :)
There could be some differences though.. what I've seen is the absolute basics for total beginners

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I attended the Nikon School about 15 years ago, and at that time, the price was $99 or so. It ran for the day (can't remember the time for sure but something like 9am-4pm). I knew quite a bit of what they taught, but based on the number of questions asked, many of the attendees weren't too knowledgeable about photography.

It was so long ago that I honestly can't remember too much about it, but they DID show an incredible number of AWESOME photos--they used a projector. They would talk about each photo and explore why the photo was good--composition, aperture, shutter speed, ISO, film type, etc. This was back when 35mm and slides were still the methods used. I believe the workshop was run by 2 guys, and they brought their own photos to show. They weren't given generic photos that Nikon provided.

I have no idea how the workshops are run now, but I really enjoyed it and felt it was worthwhile.