Inexpensive wide option?

D12345678

With a tight budget in mind, I'm looking for suggestions for a wide prime or zoom for my F80 and other film cameras, as well as potentially using it on an FX if I go that way in the next few months (maybe a D610?)
I recently tried out my Tokina 116 on the F80 and at 16mm the results were very impressive, but rather than swapping lenses back and forth (the Tokina sits mainly on my D7100) I would rather another wide, prime or zoom that won't break the bank balance.
The lenses I'm considering are: Nikon 24 f2.8D, Nikon 20 f2.8D or Nikon 18-35 AF-D

480sparky

Don't laugh: old-school (read: 1980s) Tokina 17mm f/3.5 SL. Totally manual focus & aperture ring. But just as sharp as my 17-35 AF-D. Keep your eyes peeled and you might find a copy of it for $100-150.

D12345678

Funny you should mention that Tokina, as there was recently one on Aus ebay going cheap, but I couldn't find much info about it around the web, so didn't take a chance on it! I would prefer an auto focus lens, but at a cheap price like that, the Tokina doesn't sound too bad at all.

Marcel, have you used that 18-35 lens?

480sparky

Funny you should mention that Tokina, as there was recently one on Aus ebay going cheap, but I couldn't find much info about it around the web, so didn't take a chance on it! I would prefer an auto focus lens, but at a cheap price like that, the Tokina doesn't sound too bad at all.

Who needs to focus a 17mm anyway? Shoot at f/11 and just set focus at 15'. No AF needed.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

No because I have the 16-35 VR, but I've seen shots taken with it and heard of others' experiences with it.