D600 positives

Mark F

I am fortunate... I bought one of the first Nikon d600's as soon as they were announced. Before the Dust/oil issue was even discovered, my camera had to go back to Nikon in LA for repair. At that time they replaced the shutter.
I've never seen the oil/dust issue. But since then, all I have really read/heard about in forums and online sources is the dust/oil issue. Kind of getting tired of it to tell you the truth.
How about talking about the positives of this camera.

I, for one, think this is an outstanding full frame camera. I wanted a d700 at first, still do... and still like the way the d700 user interface is. I think the d600 and/or the d700 benefit from the older or less expensive FX lenses best.

Unless Nikon does something extremely different with their sensors so average users can use cheaper lenses with great results... this will be my last upgraded camera. But knowing marketing and nikon... they probably will design bodys and sensors around their newer pro lenses.
Anyway, what is your positives with this camera?

Last edited:

papa2jaja

Good handling, not too heavy or bulky, excellent image quality, great DR, easy to use. Moderately priced. 24 MP is more than enough for me and the files handle fast and easy on the computer. I also have the D800 and like it a lot, and its files also handle fast on my machine, but if it weren't for the oil issue, I'd be using the D600.

AAMOF, what a coincidence: my company was bought by a company which resides right next to the main Nikon office of this country. I think I'll take my D600 there for a warranty checkup and shutter replacement once I start working at the new address.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Well, I find it lighter and smaller than the D700 (I have both). the colour depth is just amazing and the possible shadow recovery is nothing but almost miraculous. I've had a little more dust than on my D700, but it's getting better. I also have the D7000 and it's nice to have both cameras with controls almost the same. + and minus keys to zoom on previews are reversed... :(.

Otherwise, I just love this camera and I don't see why I should go 800 for now. Used with the pro lenses, it's a lot of camera for the buck.

Krs_2007

I have had mine for about a month now and it amazes me more every time I take a picture. No spots yet, but I am sure I will get them and if they are an issue then back it goes to Nikon for service. Till that time I will keep experiencing that Christmas feeling every time I download the pictures.

- IQ blows me away
- extensive cropping ability and be able to retain details
- low light improvements over my D7k that I traded in for the D600

Ask me again in a few months and I am sure will have more

RookieDSLR

Couldn't be happier with mine, I went from a D5100 to the D600 and man o man was it and still is amazing!!! The colors that it renders are spot on and the FPS are just enough for me that I am fine with it. I have printed some large landscape prints with the 24mp and it has yet let me down. I will not be changing my camera body unless a D4 just happens to land in my lap. I never had the dust issue at all so I geuss I was one of the luck few. I also have the grip on it and it really compliments it well giving it a very well balance feel. I could go on forever but I will stop here. Thanks

Jeremy V

Geoffc

I am fortunate... I bought one of the first Nikon d600's as soon as they were announced. Before the Dust/oil issue was even discovered, my camera had to go back to Nikon in LA for repair. At that time they replaced the shutter.
I've never seen the oil/dust issue. But since then, all I have really read/heard about in forums and online sources is the dust/oil issue. Kind of getting tired of it to tell you the truth.
How about talking about the positives of this camera.

I, for one, think this is an outstanding full frame camera. I wanted a d700 at first, still do... and still like the way the d700 user interface is. I think the d600 and/or the d700 benefit from the older or less expensive FX lenses best.

Unless Nikon does something extremely different with their sensors so average users can use cheaper lenses with great results... this will be my last upgraded camera. But knowing marketing and nikon... they probably will design bodys and sensors around their newer pro lenses.
Anyway, what is your positives with this camera?

These high density sensors don't reduce the IQ of lenses on a like for like (same displayed size) basis, they are just more capable of recording detail, be it good or bad detail. In the worst case an average lens just doesn't exploit the capabilities of the sensor.

Rick M

I bought mine at a local shop the first day it was available for sale in the US. I've had it over a year now and it is amazing. I've cleaned the sensor once and will do my second soon, the "issue" is almost non-existent now. Size, IQ, controls, I could go on and on. The images are just amazing, I would buy another in a heartbeat despite all the bad press. Nice to see a positive thread :)

480sparky

Personally, I think the dust and oil issues have been blown way out of proportion due to the Internet. I'm not saying there never was issues. But everybody keeps repeating oil oil oil dust dust dust over and over on the Internet. By now, it's old news. But since there's still all these reports of oil oil oil dust dust dust on the Internet everybody thinks that every D600 that comes off the factory line today has an oil and dust problem.

I've probably cleaned my D600 as much in the past year is I did my D7000 the two years I owned it, but I attribute that to the simple fact that I'm using the camera more and I have a wider variety of lenses today than I did with my dD7000.

I have no doubt that D800 is a better camera, and the D4 deserves its place is the flagship DSLR. But that, by no means, implies the D600 is not a champion performer.

I like the D600 so much, I bought a second D600 as a backup. I have no desire to upgrade from either one of them. And I'm sure it'll be several years down the road before I have a hankering to do so.

Rick M

Everybody loves bad news and the internet speeds it up. More people come to the net with a problem than with praise. We just need the next model "issue" to put this one to rest.

Mark F

Personally, I think the dust and oil issues have been blown way out of proportion due to the Internet. I'm not saying there never was issues. But everybody keeps repeating oil oil oil dust dust dust over and over on the Internet. By now, it's old news. But since there's still all these reports of oil oil oil dust dust dust on the Internet everybody thinks that every D600 that comes off the factory line today has an oil and dust problem.

I've probably cleaned my D600 as much in the past year is I did my D7000 the two years I owned it, but I attribute that to the simple fact that I'm using the camera more and I have a wider variety of lenses today than I did with my dD7000.

I have no doubt that D800 is a better camera, and the D4 deserves its place is the flagship DSLR. But that, by no means, implies the D600 is not a champion performer.

I like the D600 so much, I bought a second D600 as a backup. I have no desire to upgrade from either one of them. And I'm sure it'll be several years down the road before I have a hankering to do so.

I couldn't agree more. Seems every time there is a new body out, some people have to daily bash it on the internet.
A wise salesman said to me years ago that there were 3 types of people in photography. One type hangs out on the internet and just talks about cameras. Another type actually goes out and takes pictures. The third type takes pictures and only uses the internet to learn how to better his craft. Unfortunately, the third type has to weed through all the posts the first type posts.

Krs_2007

I couldn't agree more. Seems every time there is a new body out, some people have to daily bash it on the internet.
A wise salesman said to me years ago that there were 3 types of people in photography. One type hangs out on the internet and just talks about cameras. Another type actually goes out and takes pictures. The third type takes pictures and only uses the internet to learn how to better his craft. Unfortunately, the third type has to weed through all the posts the first type posts.

It it took me a while to figure that out myself and to tell you the truth that is why I prefer this site. Honesty without the sarcasm that a lot of sites have become.

Mark F

It it took me a while to figure that out myself and to tell you the truth that is why I prefer this site. Honesty without the sarcasm that a lot of sites have become.

Seriously. I really get tired of listenening to the people who put a camera in front of a focus screen and bitch about back or front focus all the time for every model camera and lens combo. Them and the ones that blow the photo up way past 100% and pixel peep trying to find anything at all to complain about.
The d600, like my former D300s like it former d90, like its former d40, are great cameras. No matter what lens I put on it.. colors and sharpness are there. The D600 has the high ISO advantage my d300s didn't have. I was hoping for a d400 to come along but instead jumped on the d600 for the FX advantage. I have no complaints except the ones that I have made myself in sub par shots. I'm always trying to become better.
This year has been hard. Started out with a fall that broke 5 ribs.. then a gallbladder surgery... then just recently another fall that shattered my right ankle. Recovering from that at the moment and cant take pictures. Really is driving me NUTS. I'm really looking forward to going back out hopefully this winter to shoot some landscapes albeit in areas that are easy to get to. I think I"m done with the difficult rated hikes for a long time.

Blade Canyon

Nobody has mentioned the ability to control the D600 over Wifi, or with the Trigger Trap dongle. This is probably why: I have both, but only used them once to go "wow, neato... look what this can do...", then never hooked either one up again. So, they are cool features, but I have never had a practical reason to use them.

That said, the D600 Time Lapse feature that automatically assembles the pics into a movie is a fantastic feature that I have used MANY times. That's why my actuations jumped up so high after I bought it. You can also just have the D600 take regular pictures at a fixed interval, which I use whenever we are taking group shots. Just leave the camera on the tripod or ledge or something, and set it to take a pic every three seconds. We always wind up with at least one good pic, and it's faster than trying to use the remote.

AND, with FX, all of my old manual focus Nikon lenses work normally again. 50mm is 50mm!

Last edited:

NVSteve

The need to clean the sensor too often aside, I absolutely love the images I get out of the D600. The ability to push in post is astounding. A few times now I have maxed out a slider in Lightroom, saved as a Tiff, then reopened in PS as a RAW and was still able to almost max out the same slider. The leeway for PP is simply huge. No other camera I've owned or downloading samples from has been as malleable as the D600. My last body was an Olympus E-3, which was both larger and heavier, although the build quality was many times better. I can live with the smaller size & weight. I can even forgive the less robust build. The end result is all I really care about, and the Nikon delivers everything I've ever needed/wanted.

Unfortunately, I will never want anything less than a full frame now. I've tried the mirrorless route with 2 different cameras from 2 different mfrs & while the body sizes were nice and tiny, there were far too many annoyances (dismal battery life for one) for me. I just hope Nikon keeps producing a line of FF bodies like the D600, and ideally, with a more robust build.