1934 Gatsby Cabriolet

06Honda

10011477016_b1ec1caaba_c.jpg

06Honda

The cars were so closely parked together and with the thousands of lookers around there was no way to get a full car shot without being obstructed. Almost trampled taking this :) great day.

Nathan Lanni

Like Don, I would like to see the entire car, but understand fully. We have an annual Route 66 fest in Southern California and with 1,500 or so cars entered + crowds it's terribly difficult to get good shots.

I have to say though, the bit of the car you did manage to capture is very iconic of that era and is a great representation of the design's beauty. Excellent image!

Nathan Lanni

Well it is a great shot but I am a car guy from way back and love all old cars. I collected Studebakers and showed them in national shows for many years.

I collect cars too and in addition to a 1965 Ford 289-4V Ranchero I have 2 American Motors Javelin AMX's (4 seater). I previously owned a 1969 AMC AMX, and plan on adding a 1970 AMX to my collection. Unfortunately mine are not show quality but will be someday. As I'm sure you're aware Rambler and Studebaker are related through the America Motors Corporation.

My user name is partly derived from Dick Teague's name, who I believe was AMC's greatest design chief. He is responsible for producing the only muscle cars AMC ever made, the Javelin, AMX and Javelin/AMX, hence I created the name teagueAMX in honor of Dick Teague.

FWIW.

Last edited:
I collect cars too and in addition to a 1965 Ford 289-4V Ranchero I have 2 American Motors Javelin AMX's (4 seater). I previously owned a 1969 AMC AMX, and plan on adding a 1970 AMX to my collection. Unfortunately mine are not show quality but will be someday. As I'm sure you're aware Rambler and Studebaker are related through the America Motors Corporation.

My user name is partly derived from Dick Teague's name, who I believe was AMC's greatest design chief. He is responsible for producing the only muscle cars AMC ever made, the Javelin, AMX and Javelin/AMX, hence I created the name teagueAMX in honor of Dick Teague.

FWIW.

Actually Studebaker and Rambler/American Motors were never together. Many people thought this but they weren't. Packard was the only relative because Studebaker bought Packard in around 1958 if I remember correctly. There is actually one "Studebaker" that was still in production until 2006 and that is the Avanti. Avanti Motors Corporation 2001-2007

Nathan Lanni

Actually Studebaker and Rambler/American Motors were never together. Many people thought this but they weren't. Packard was the only relative because Studebaker bought Packard in around 1958 if I remember correctly. There is actually one "Studebaker" that was still in production until 2006 and that is the Avanti. Avanti Motors Corporation 2001-2007

Yeah I think you're right, it was the Avanti.

I loved the design - IMHO it was nice futuristic in it's day and it never got old.

Maybe I made the connection as you said with Packard.

By no means was I ever an expert on Studebaker, but I loved the Hawk and the pickup.

Yeah I think you're right, it was the Avanti.

I loved the design - IMHO it was nice futuristic in it's day and it never got old.

Maybe I made the connection as you said with Packard.

By no means was I ever an expert on Studebaker, but I loved the Hawk and the pickup.

I had a third place national winner with my 1962 GT Hawk. I went to the national Studebaker shows in South Bend many times wither with my dad or with my wife. Great fun.

Nathan Lanni

I had a third place national winner with my 1962 GT Hawk. I went to the national Studebaker shows in South Bend many times wither with my dad or with my wife. Great fun.

The Hawk was a very spacial design, and I've seen some nice specimens of it but not likely in that class of restoration.

Was it factory restoration or custom?

Someday, if you haven't already done so, please post some photos - I'd really like to see them.

Last edited:
The Hawk was a very spacial design, and I've seen some nice specimens of it but not likely in that class of restoration.

Was it factory restoration or custom?

Someday, if you haven't already done so, please post some photos - I'd really like to see them.

They were all back to factory. Studebaker shows back then were always back to factory specs. no modifications.
It was many years ago when I was into cars. actually before I got into photography.