New D7000 from D3000 feeling lost :S

Leslie

Aggggh I have upgraded a few weeks ago and feel so losts. There are so many more options on the new camera and feel perhaps I should have stayed where I was.

Mfrankfort

Get "D7000 for dummies". It sounds silly, but they're awesome books. I know a good deal about camera's and settings, but when I went to a D600, I was completely lost. Got the D600 for dummies, and learned an amazing amount about the specific camera.

Leslie

Thanks! I am going to take a whole day and go play;) I do adoption phots for the SPCA and just want to get better and better :) My biggest struggle is settings for indoors lol.

snaphappy

I started with the 7000 in January and I was SUPER overwhelmed but I am having so much fun now. Read through posts and as lame as it is go through your manual. It takes a long time but part of the fun is slowly figuring it out and mastering it. Its wonderful you can change your aperture, shutter and iso without ever removing your eye from the view finder :) Stick with it you'll end up loving it

snaphappy

Animals are always moving so start figuring out shutter. The trick to indoor shots is flash (low light- lower flash, bright light-higher flash play with it inside somewhere comfy with your manual). I never thought I'd want an external flash but love my sb-700...

Whitelight has a link somewhere to some great helpful websites for newbies :)

Leslie

Yes my g/f said the same thing that it is soooooooooooo great. I have a video that i bought with it too and need to unwrap that and kick the husband off the TV and I'll take it over for 2 hours :) I know with my D3000 it came finally all too me so sure this will too :) thanks!

pedroj

Brings back memories, camera on the table manual in hand and feeling overwhelmed....Started reading and shooting aperture and it wasn't all that long before I felt confident to try shutter then manual modes....It doesn't say anywhere in the manual that you have to show your mistakes....Try things and have a bit of fun...

Cheers

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Welcome!

Read your manual and also use these tips from fellow Nikonite Jeff, aka grandpaw
Nikon D7000 tips

I went from the D5100 to the D7100 in June and was totally lost. I'm getting the hang of it now and still have to stop and read the manual here and there.

dramtastic

I went from a Panasonic Lumix TZ30 to this Nikon. You do not have to learn it all in a day. I've read elsewhere not to make such a big jump, but that is a load of crap. The journey, not the destination is the most fun. One tip, don't change all your settings to those that Ken Rockwell recommends and in general you don't have to muck around to much with settings to start. Ultimately the same basic rules apply, ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed. Beyond that, shoot, shoot, shoot. I take at least a thousand images a week. All the decent software including NEX2 will show you the Metadata for you to compare your shots.
My only recommendation is to shoot in Aperture Priority most of the time(at least to start). The other thing I spend a lot of time changing is minimum shutter speed in the menu as I like to shoot BIF. I also only ever use back button focus.
You've bought one of the great bang for your buck camera bodies. Enjoy! You can view my album here under dramtastic and if for any reason you like what you see, I'm a novice, I will be happy to send you any changes I have made to my camera menu.

M1A

I felt that way at first, but after leaving the manual in the toilet for a few weeks, I eventually learned all of the functions. BTW, if I went the opposite way, from a 7000 to a 3100/3200 I would also feel lost. It's just a matter of learning a new toy.

I started on a 7000 and was clueless about basic terminology: "ISO, White Balance, ETC..." What you don't understand in the manual you can find on youtube.

Roy1961

Contributor
i came from a D60 to my D7000, then i read on here the best way to learn was to put it on M mode and shoot away, had lots of problems, kept reading, shooting and deleting, then it started to click in my noggin, everyone goes though this at some stage, dont give up, have fun.

Youtube and a D7000 (blue crane) dvd helped me alot.

Roy1961

Contributor
hello and welcome btw, forgot to mention, grandpa (jeff) on here has a great tip section for the D7000.

co2jae

I remember when I first got my D7000...upgraded from an 8 MP point and shoot! I read lots of posts here, read lots of info online and of course, the manual. I remember being so frustrated at times but my voice of reason (otherwise known as my wife) kept telling me my problems were user errors and to keep trying. I think the best learning moments came from reading something in my manual and then practicing it. My wife still tells my friends and family members about the 600 or so shots I took of the ceiling fan one night just learning about different settings. Enjoy your new camera and have fun doing it. Soon enough you will be so comfortable you will be looking for a newer (and costlier) one....Hello Santa can you hear me?