My take on Degeneration...

johnwartjr

This week's photo theme reminded me of a photo I shot back in August - too old to fit within the rules of the contest - so I thought I'd post it here for critiquing.

Earlier in the summer, my town started road construction, and I had to find an alternate route to get my kids from daycare in the afternoons. The 'suggested' detour would've turned a 25 minute trip closer to an hour each way. While out driving, I found an alternate route that I now use the majority of the time, even though the construction is now completed.

Every day, I kept staring at this barn. It was off a country road, kind of desolate, but it was obvious that someone lived there, as some days there were vehicles there that weren't there the day before. But what caught my eye was a rotting barn, with an old Dodge parked in front of it, and I thought, this could almost look like it was forgotten by time.

I started taking my D90 with me in the car daily, hoping to get an opportunity to snap a photo. Finally, one day, there was no traffic, I wasn't running late, and I was able to stop and squeeze off a few exposures. There was nowhere to park my car, nowhere to stop, etc.

50dodge.jpg

The car is a 1950 Dodge Coronet, and as it would be, just a few days after I got my shot, the car disappeared. I had thoughts of maybe going back someday, finding the owner of the property and asking permission to set up my tripod and get a better shot.. but it is what it is.

EXIF data:

D90
f/6.3
1/640 sec
ISO 200

18-105 lens @ 62mm

I decided to convert it to B&W and add some grain to make it 'appear' as if it was much older than it really was.

Carolina Photo Guy

You know what would be a perfect title?

Barn For Sale
Some Repairs Needed

Reminds me of my first house, except this is in better shape!

I like this shot. It speaks to me.

Pete

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
haha pete - that's a great shot, I really like it. I'm guessing the car hasn't been parked there too long since the tires are still inflated, but it adds character to the composition regardless.