Nat'l Geographic Photographer Builds a Photo Ark

BackdoorArts

Great photos and an important message. From the interview accompanying the story...

What has been the greatest challenge or disappointment you have faced with this project?

That people still care more about the price at the pump and what’s on TV instead of waking up and realizing that we’re on the cusp of the biggest extinction since the dinosaurs vanished.

One Photographer’s Mission to Build an Ark – PROOF

Browncoat

I have mixed feelings about his approach to this project. I understand that using the black background is to single out the subject, to really draw attention to the details that make these animals unique and amazing...but it just looks so unnatural and out of context. The studio lighting, the backdrop, the posing, all of it.

Pardon the pun, but it looks like a fish out of water.

BackdoorArts

I have mixed feelings about his approach to this project. I understand that using the black background is to single out the subject, to really draw attention to the details that make these animals unique and amazing...but it just looks so unnatural and out of context. The studio lighting, the backdrop, the posing, all of it.

Pardon the pun, but it looks like a fish out of water.

I understand your perspective, and as "nature shots" perhaps they fail. But in the context of putting all the animals documented on equal footing I believe it's a brilliant concept. It's easy to ignore the smallest creature when the comparison in size to any other known object is immediately available. It's textbook documentation of the variety of species being cared for by our "modern day Noahs" and I think it offers a persepective no one else has ever given us.